Attex brake disc noise?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attex brake disc noise?

Attex brake disc noise?

I've got a 400 Chief with the big brake discs that are mounted on each side of the T20 and are loose on the shaft. They don't spin at all but you can shake them from side to side and they kind of act like a cymbal. When the Attex is moving and you use a lateral - for example you are moving and you pull back on a lateral abruptly to brake there is noise as that side of the T20 stops. Like wise there is a noise if you push the lateral forward quickly. I think the noise is from the brake disc bang around on it's loose mounts. If you apply the brake peddle so that it is lightly gripping the disc, and then operate a lateral as before the noise doesn't occur. Anyone run into this kind of thing? I originally thought maybe the chains where loose and that was causing the noise, but they don't seem to be.

Any thoughts on how to tighten up those discs mountings?
    "Obsolete doesn’t mean a thing isn’t any good - it just means they don’t make it any more.”
    - Von Dutch

Is the t20 loose in the mounts and moving around maybe??

The discs on the Chief/Thunderchief were loose fitting by design. I'm assuming that's so the mechanical calipers don't have to move too far and alignment isn't so much of a problem. The noise can be annoying, but I don't think it will cause any harm (mechanically, anyway- emotionally is another matter).
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I had that problem too. It can help get rid of it by adjusting the caliper up to there isn't as much travel in the brake pedal. That way the discs sort of float between the pads and the pads act as a sort of dampener on the brakes. Just don't adjust too tight. You don't want them to grab and wear the pads out. Another thing I had was when the chains are too loose they can actually hit the side of the disc when you turn and they tighten up. Loose or worn out chains can sometimes do this.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

I thought it was a loose chain at first. I've tightened it up a bit but haven't had the machine out yet to see if that eliminated the noise, or some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by smudvapor View Post
    I had that problem too. It can help get rid of it by adjusting the caliper up to there isn't as much travel in the brake pedal. That way the discs sort of float between the pads and the pads act as a sort of dampener on the brakes. Just don't adjust too tight. You don't want them to grab and wear the pads out. Another thing I had was when the chains are too loose they can actually hit the side of the disc when you turn and they tighten up. Loose or worn out chains can sometimes do this.
    "Obsolete doesn’t mean a thing isn’t any good - it just means they don’t make it any more.”
    - Von Dutch

+ Reply to Thread