attex tranny question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: attex tranny question

attex tranny question

hello, just bought an attex st300d. pretty nice shape. tranny is atv7000 and "seems good", po said it worked great.

prev owner put (rigged) a 250cc polaris trailboss (i believe) air-cooled (non-fan) motor in it. as you stand on the drivers side of the attex, the polaris motor rotates counter-clockwise. according to the pics of the jlo, the tranny should rotate clockwise to go forward???

my question based on my belief the above is correct: is it okay to run the tranny in reverse to go forward, again, viewing from the drivers side in a clockwise rotation? i'm guessing it's not a good idea and i need a fan cooled motor with the drive pulley on the right side.

thank you,

chas

nice site here with very informed posters.....................................

To dodge any possible confusion with clockwise, drivers side terms, the top of the belt should go toward the front of the machine when the engine is running
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

hey, thanks. that's the way my motor will spin her.

i saved three attex manuals from this site and the one that shows the jlo (titled: This is a huge 70 page Attex shop manual covering everything from tires to transmissions, second pic) sure appears to be setup to spin the top of the belt towards the rear.

much appreciated..............................

chas

not sure why the short drive chains on either side of the 7000 are rubbing the brake adjustment nut/stud. i loosened up the 4 bolts holding the tranny base and moved the tranny assembly and base rearward as far as the short drive chains would allow. the rear chains loosened up some but the short drive chains are still rubbing the studs. i notice the center frame sections show a notch sticking out an inch and a half from the rear of the tranny assembly which leads me to believe the 7000 assembly is pretty much at it's most forward position.

the manual says the adjustment nut/stud is "located at the rear of each puck holder assembly". was wondering if mine are in backwards, possibly switched left and right sides? i can't understand why the adjustment nut/stud would be placed where they could be impacted by the chain but what do i know, it's my first first 6 wheeler.

appreciate any assistance as i haven't been able to find a definitive pic.
    Last edited by chasgas; 11-02-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Yes, someone switched them. It most likely made the adjustments easier, but created a clearance problem (As you've found out)
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

thanks don. more work, agh!

chas

welded up a new motor mount and now the motor sits in place at just over 30 degrees, carb now level. cheap angle finder from lowes was invaluable. decided to bolt the motor direct with no rubber bushings.

brakes now on correctly, chains lubed and adjusted.

we've had snow on the ground since the end of oct and last night 2 new inches. took her for her first tryout and it was slow and easy at first. took a few minutes to get used to pulling right handle to go left. ha. zero turning is very cool.

QUESTION: should i be able to visually see the lube in the tranny through the top filler access? when i had the tranny out i opened the side/front drain and the 80/90 looked new so i didn't drain it. on level ground i can see lube on the rotating piece inside the tranny but not the top of the lube itself.

thanks.............

chas

oh, guilty of a dumb question. when i read the manual i thought the side plug in the tranny was the drain plug. nope, read it again today and it's the 80/90 weight lube LEVEL PLUG.

sorry.............................
    Last edited by chasgas; 11-21-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Had not been on here in a long time I have a 1976 Super Cheif 500 with stock engine and stock T 29 Trans wanted to check the trans oils level and the side bolt broke off my trans runs right for now but given the age of the ATV and no Idea how much it was used I am thinking to get a Rebuilt one from Richards Relics isjust wondered how much he charges for them then at some point have him rebuild my original trans. The Engine I have in my Attex right now is a Original 500 cc 2 stroke same type as its orignal engine but out of a Snow Mobile which I had to install backwards which it was set up reverse from what the Attex is in the Snowmoble and it had been rebuilt and still has less than 100 hrs on it. I have my original engine as well all I need now it stock pistons and rings and gasket kit. The Attex has been Garage Kept and a slow project due to low budget Family comes 1st if you know what I mean. But I have all the parts except org pistions I have new over sized ones but rather wait to used them later and use ori ones for now instead and complete gasket kit and new rebuilttranny as said above then I have two Chapperal 500cc engines and trannys by the tie I am completed getting everything I need, I took had the Engine rubber gasket issue for the mother mounts I got thick ruber and circl saw and cut new ones to much vibration I think would be on the enfine to just mount to the frame with no rubber gaskets between engine and frame the egine would feel and jolt at ever bad bump on trails so I think its smarter to make the engine mount rubber gaskets. One thing I learned as a Teen Most Cars, Bikes Atvs are built the way they are for many reasons safety and to reduce wear and tear on them So I try to keep most things Stock as I can. Also I was just wondering How much this AtTex just might be worth in todays market I know over the years I have onlt seen 3 of these come up for sale. I been Trying to keep this Attex well preserved and totally original as I can it needs the frame repainted and original Stickers put back on it and has one little square cut in the side back inside which its former owner did no idea why and two drill holes in back rear to drain water which was dunb to because it has a good working water pump maybe last owner figured out getting a water pump later who knows. But my thinking on all these vintage Atvs, cars whatever owners should try to keep them as close to original as they can is my feelings. that includes motor mounts and if need be gabercate them or get someone to do it for you.
    Last edited by awisewon; 12-08-2017 at 01:18 AM.

Had not been on here in a long time I have a 1976 Super Cheif 500 with stock engine and stock T 29 Trans wanted to check the trans oils level and the side bolt broke off my trans runs right for now but given the age of the ATV and no Idea how much it was used I am thinking to get a Rebuilt one from Richards Relics isjust wondered how much he charges for them then at some point have him rebuild my original trans. The Engine I have in my Attex right now is a Original 500 cc 2 stroke same type as its orignal engine but out of a Snow Mobile which I had to install backwards which it was set up reverse from what the Attex is in the Snowmoble and it had been rebuilt and still has less than 100 hrs on it. I have my original engine as well all I need now it stock pistons and rings and gasket kit. The Attex has been Garage Kept and a slow project due to low budget Family comes 1st if you know what I mean. But I have all the parts except org pistions I have new over sized ones but rather wait to used them later and use ori ones for now instead and complete gasket kit and new rebuilttranny as said above then I have two Chapperal 500cc engines and trannys by the tie I am completed getting everything I need, I took had the Engine rubber gasket issue for the mother mounts I got thick ruber and circl saw and cut new ones to much vibration I think would be on the enfine to just mount to the frame with no rubber gaskets between engine and frame the egine would feel and jolt at ever bad bump on trails so I think its smarter to make the engine mount rubber gaskets. One thing I learned as a Teen Most Cars, Bikes Atvs are built the way they are for many reasons safety and to reduce wear and tear on them So I try to keep most things Stock as I can. Also I was just wondering How much this AtTex just might be worth in todays market I know over the years I have onlt seen 3 of these come up for sale.

no idea here awiseone.......................

anybody know the size of the grease fitting needed to lube the 6 (3 PER SIDE) pinion pins on the brake disc???

i've purchased 4 different american sized fittings and no go so far. maybe metric???

i believe they're pipe thread so i'm hesitant to try a bolt.

thanks for the help...............
    chas

+ Reply to Thread