Attex help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attex help

Attex help

I just got a non running 6x6 and can't decide what to fix and what to replace.
    Not sure on the year or model.
    It has a JLO 297 single. The trans id tag is gone, but I know its not a T20.
    trans will not shift correctly, no reverse, hits forward and neutral, pops out of reverse.
    Engine has no spark.
    Any help to id trans?
    And are rebuild parts for 297 available?

check my gallery for more pics

Looks like a baker hill 7000 like mine, they work great . There is lots of info and good people on here to help you out like they did me.
    Clean the points then check for spark again.

ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

thanks, Read some about trans issues, may be bent shifter fork... trans coming out next. pulled motor out today. Tried to remove flywheel cover, but couldn't get to the bottom bolts. Removed flywheel, will clean points next. Starter motor is seized...
    Are parts easy to get for this L300L engine? bearings, seals, etc,?
    Last edited by Adam in Va; 09-03-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo

Hey, Adam;
    By the looks of the machine, it's most likely an ST300D, making the transmission a 7000 like Andy said. The points/condensers in these go bad on a regular basis, especially if they've been sitting a long time. You can get gasket/seal kits from manufacturerssupply.com and find other parts on ebay, Richard's Relics or through this site. Where are you in VA? I live up near Winchester.

Don
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I'm in Madison Va. So after I pulled motor, I cleaned points, wired up a battery and SPARK! With a shot of fuel she fired right up. thanks! Crank bearings sound bad just hand rolling over, so I want to replace those. Has a Tolison carb, would be smart to change to a 90's atv style slide carb (float bowl) ?

Personally, I'd change to a Mikuni round slide. They're a lot less trouble in my opinion. You have to add a fuel pump to the system if you do the swap.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

hey Don, did you mean " mfgsupply.com " ?
    And what ya think about this carb High QUALITY 38mm Carburetor Carb For Keihin Dirt KTM 250 250SX 250EXC 96-99 US | eBay

Yes; that's the site. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not very familiar with Keihin carburetors, but they have a good reputation. I'd look for a Mikuni VM28 or VM30.

Swapped the stock carb to a round slide, but seems too small to rev properly.
    Also fixed trans, shifter rod had sheared woodriff key. shifts correctly now.
    However that uncovered whole new set of issues... Motor mounts are like jelly, belt does not stay aligned or cycle correct. Brake pucks are worn on one side. So I'll be taking a break from this machine for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam in Va View Post
    Swapped the stock carb to a round slide, but seems too small to rev properly.
    Also fixed trans, shifter rod had sheared woodriff key. shifts correctly now.
    However that uncovered whole new set of issues... Motor mounts are like jelly, belt does not stay aligned or cycle correct. Brake pucks are worn on one side. So I'll be taking a break from this machine for now.
    Check to see the frame isn't rotted or cracked where the rear engine mounts attach.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread