looking for advice on body repair

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: looking for advice on body repair

Hybrid View

looking for advice on body repair

Its a 1970 body that has some cracks in the body and shattered corner at the back. looking to use fiberglass from the inside. in addition id like to reinforce the front and bottom since it is old plastic.

advice on best method is greatly appreciated!

You probably will want to avoid using fiberglass just because it won't hold up in the long run. Your body sounds like it is ABS but it could also be HDPE. If it is ABS, you can repair it by mixing acetone with pieces of ABS or by air welding it. If it is HDPE, you can also air weld it with a cheap welder from harbor freight. Search the forum for ABS repair and there are several threads that should help you out. Here is one to get you started: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/attex...tml#post179965

mike,

thank you. im looking at buying ABS pellets and the fiber mat with acetone to repair the body. also looking for HDPE in 1/4 black to make a skid plate. i assume rivets are all that is needed.

I wont know until spring how effective my repairs will be but I made a patch and filled some cracks using HDPE and windshield adhesive. That stuff sticks to Anything.

Also used a product from JB Weld

i bought some abs pellets off ebay and fiberglass mat. this will be my first attempt at closing up holes and sealing up cracks

This stuff is made for plastics and WILL hold up, I have proof. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a5RlcP-4JE

+ Reply to Thread