Attex ID and lineup!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attex ID and lineup!

Talking Attex ID and lineup!

Hi, I have come across a Attex and i;m not sure of the model and year. Now this may be a repetetive but maybe someone can point me to the correct answer or thread reply. I'm pretty sure its a Super Chief 400 with a Sled motor in it. From what i've read so far the year should be on the frame but I can't find it and maye overlooking it some how. I have come to the thought that its a S.C.400 by looking at the brochure section and maching the pictures but I could be wrong. I will post pictues soon for verification but I was hoping someone could help. Second, what was the Attex lineup from begining to end. What was the last MFGing date and where can you find this info? How many of these were made? Would it be worth while to buy one of them no matter what condition its in? Thanks for any info!

Hi Fry. The Attex Chief had a 400, The Super Chief came with the G50B, and was a Poly Body. I don't know the full line-up. And I won't say no matter the condition, some guy in NJ had me drive 3+ hours for a machine that was supposed to be good, even after all the drive, I would't have hauled it away for free unless he did all the loading
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

The frame rail on the back right should have some numbers stamp on it. The bigger ones are the year. I believe it was just behind the rear axle ish. Get a wire brush and brush around and should find something. As far as the line up. I got a cool thing from Don that has the list and the changes. PM me or Don your email and one of use will send it. I shouldn't volunteer Don but Im sure he dont mind.

No, I don't mind a bit. Larry's right about the position of the number, but you may have to look around a bit- they vary as to exactly where they're stamped.

Attex started production in 1968, and any information after the 1980 model year is spotty, but I think they did do some limited production after that. Somewhere I have lists that describe the year and model differences- I'll have to dig them up and scan them. I thought I'd sent them to Mike a long time ago, but I don't find them with the brochures & info. If you post some pics, someone will be able to tell you what it is.

Attex built a LOT of machines while they were in business. For years they had over 60% of the worldwide sales, and that was when there was lots of competitors to fend off. I've never seen it written down as to how many they built all together, but I'd be willing to bet it would surprise people. If the one you're looking at is worth it to you, then buy it, but Attex is a fairly common find, so don't jump on it as a rarity.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by 6X6 View Post
    Hi Fry. The Attex Chief had a 400, The Super Chief came with the G50B, and was a Poly Body. I don't know the full line-up. And I won't say no matter the condition, some guy in NJ had me drive 3+ hours for a machine that was supposed to be good, even after all the drive, I would't have hauled it away for free unless he did all the loading
    That sucks! Did you at least get gas money from him?
    Whats a G50B? What was wrong with the unit that you decided NO?

Ok, cool. Behind the rear axle on the left or right side? As for the model, it looks a lot like the one in LarryW's picture, if not identical. Is there any features that stand out to ID it? The stickers from the side are long gone and like I mentioned before the engine is not original nor did I see the original. So, thats no help. I will post pictures as soon as I get them to clear it up for good, hopefully?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Attex built a LOT of machines while they were in business. For years they had over 60% of the worldwide sales, and that was when there was lots of competitors to fend off. I've never seen it written down as to how many they built all together, but I'd be willing to bet it would surprise people. If the one you're looking at is worth it to you, then buy it, but Attex is a fairly common find, so don't jump on it as a rarity.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    Who was Attex? Were they a small private company like a mom & pop business or were they part of a bigger Co. E.G: Honda, Yamaha? Its just strange that a company builds something so cool for a couple of decades and then disappears. Almost like it didn't catch on after the 80's. Now we have John Deere and others continuing where thy left off. I know Argo has been arround for a while but i don't know their history either, so maybe it was just a dry patch for a little bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Frymechanic View Post
    Now we have John Deere and others continuing where thy left off.
    What does John Deere have to do with Attex?

Max 6 Wheel Drive

Quote Originally Posted by argohunter View Post
    What does John Deere have to do with Attex?
    Nothing! I was just explaining others make 6x6's now were previosly not!
    Road? What road? I blaze my own trail!!!

model lists

Heres' the model lists up to 1978 for Attex. Larry was nice enough to send them to me so I didn't have to search the paper files. Thanks, Larry!

Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

+ Reply to Thread