20 HP Kawasaki wont start when hot

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 20 HP Kawasaki wont start when hot

I think I might not have explain myself thoroughly enough. when it warms up can I go to restart it she doesn't even turnover. it does sort of a half of crank then just stops. it doesn't keep turning over. kind of like a piston gets to top dead center and just stops. it almost feels like the cylinder filled up with gas and couldn't be cranked over anymore.

WArgo 1.jpghich brings me to my next thought.

Screw it I'm tearing the entire thing down and go through the entire conquest. chains, bearings the whole 9 yards. I don't think I'm going to rebuild the motor though. I will just clean that and the tranny up. It has under 500 hours on the machine and actually does run good when it runs lol... anyway I figure if I stay out here in the garage long enough maybe my wife will quit chasing me around so much :-) Here is a pic of the beat up old girl....... My conquest that is not my wife

ahhhhhhhh,ok.i just bought a conquest last month that acted like that.it would start up fine and run great.then after a few minutes it would begin to smoke,with excessive moisture coming out of exhaust.when i pulled the engine down there was a blown head gasket and was coolant in the # 2 cylinder.i have not put the engine back in the machine yet since i rebuilt it.will find out in a month or 2 if that solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDawg View Post
    I think I might not have explain myself thoroughly enough. when it warms up can I go to restart it she doesn't even turnover. it does sort of a half of crank then just stops. it doesn't keep turning over. kind of like a piston gets to top dead center and just stops. it almost feels like the cylinder filled up with gas and couldn't be cranked over anymore.

WAttachment 8440hich brings me to my next thought.

Screw it I'm tearing the entire thing down and go through the entire conquest. chains, bearings the whole 9 yards. I don't think I'm going to rebuild the motor though. I will just clean that and the tranny up. It has under 500 hours on the machine and actually does run good when it runs lol... anyway I figure if I stay out here in the garage long enough maybe my wife will quit chasing me around so much :-) Here is a pic of the beat up old girl....... My conquest that is not my wife

make sure that you put a seat back on that front seat. It doubles how enjoyable the ride is.... look at other argos that have the factory seat back rest. It isnt too hard to make, just some plywood, some foam ( old couches work fine) some vinal and a staple gun.. Took me a wile to fiure it out on mine!

some kawasaki motors have an ignition ignitor on them it is a small square silver thin box usually near the oil fill tube it has one screw attaching it to the shroud and one wire plugs onto it im not sure if its that or the coil both are 50-100 bucks depending were you go. good luck.

Ok so its not a fuel delivery issue. It doesn't crank when hot. Im thinking about changing the starter out. Maybe take it apart and clean it ?? If not the stadter what would stop it from cranking over ?? Valves ? I cant figure this one out. Oh ya what size are the bearing sizes for this ? I know the Max is 72mm by 1 1/4. Od and 62mm by 1 1/4 for the inside ones. Are the Argo ones the same ? It would be nice so I can just go right to tractor supply and get um.

cheak the coil when they get hot it will not start

starter solenoid? vapor lock? after it cools down it will crank? oil temp sensor?

Well it sounds to me as if it is an electrical connection type issue. I would try using a jumper cable from the ground side of the battery to the engine block. If this works then you have a bad ground cable or a poor connection to the block or battery which can then be repaired/ replaced. If not, then it may be the starter. If you take the battery out to pull the starter look for loose connections on the cables, green fuzzy stuff(corrosion) on the cable ends. If the connections look like they have been overheated(discolored) you have a loose connection that leads to arcing and amperage drop(bad mojo = argo dont go). Good luck and remember what Sherlock Holmes would do, "Eliminate all the possibilities and whatever remains, however improbable, must be the solution".

Hey, what was the solution? Starter or coils? If Neither, I would guess your timing was off.

+ Reply to Thread