Looking at Argos

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking at Argos

Looking at Argos

New member here trying to decide if I want to trade my atv with tracks for an Argo. Would like an 8 X 8 but being new not sure what I want. Probably used for mostly ice fishing. What do you think my pros and cons would be? I am older so speed is not a concern, but I like the safety part. From NW Iowa. Thanks Al

Ice fishing is what I bought mine for.
    It is the best ice shanty ever.
    I put a bait cooler in the back along with the pack and a K-Drill and it is mobile.
    It saved us on a unseen open slush spot last winter with the wife and grandson.
    Felt like it slowed a bit, but was crossing slush/open water spot.
    I looked at a few options for UTV with tracks, but none float...

Quote Originally Posted by fishgo28 View Post
    New member here trying to decide if I want to trade my atv with tracks for an Argo. Would like an 8 X 8 but being new not sure what I want. Probably used for mostly ice fishing. What do you think my pros and cons would be? I am older so speed is not a concern, but I like the safety part. From NW Iowa. Thanks Al
    You will definitely be safer in an Argo due to the fact the weight is more evenly distributed on the ice. If you break through it all depends on if you go in crooked or fairly even wether it fills up with water or not. Guess how I know this. I’ve done a lot of testing on thin ice in ponds and near shore. I broke through near shore with my MaxIV and went in crooked. Filled up with water but still floated. I don’t recommend taking any chances just because they float. I hope my ice incidents help others.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Agree with tbone9 completely.
    Never take a chance when you know it is unsafe.
    The one time I had it happen it was a surprise on a very cold 10 degree day.
    Snow covered pressure ridge near shore that spread I guess.
    It was frozen back up by the time we left in the afternoon.

Fish go the 8x8 would give you more storage capacity verses the 6x6. Both would do well for you for ice fishing.

You might like to have a look at this video my son took of me a few years ago. Notice how close you can come to the edge of the ice without breaking it because the weight is so evenly distributed.

https://youtu.be/e-W1j8gvN5s

+ Reply to Thread