Keeping them alive...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keeping them alive...

thanks for the compliment partsman...

The HDPE is very maleable when you heat it up. You can actually bend it around with your hands if you have some nice heavy leather gloves on. Focusing the force with jacks and blocks of wood really make it go easy.

I had the whole thing riveted up before sealing it with black silicone. The goal of the silicone was mainly to keep debris from getting lodged in between the skid and the body, not for waterproof-ness. The rivets have a rubber seal on them to aid in the waterproof-ness, so it should be close to water tight with or without the silicone. The problem with silicone is that it doesn't adhere to either poly or ABS well at all. It'll peal right off. I left a small gap (<1/16") in between the poly and the ABS to get a bead of silicone to work in the gap. As it cures, it should take the shape of the gap, and be difficult to wrip out.

~m

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    In a word ----BRAVO!

Looks like a great job, and you say it's your first--not sure I believe that! LOL!

I wonder how well some 3M strip caulk would work for waterproofing if it were packed around the edges- that is if you wanted waterproofing.
    Last edited by brushcutter; 08-08-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Question Was just thinking????? ANYONE KNOW ???

Iv been doing some looking & thinking about putting a skid plate under my max II > 1972 HOGWILD . I was looking at HDPE 1/4 " thick 4' X 8' sheet $ 140.00 then came across UHMW 1/4 '' thick 4' x 10' cost $40.00 more than HDPE but have found it will slide a little better over things and was told its a little tuffer too. I was thinking about how to form this stuff and I think it might work but not sure.. I know this will have to be done with just the bottom of the max II up side down,no axles in order for it to work. and only doing a 4' X 4' sheet at a time. I was wondering if it could be boiled in hot water to make it soft in order to form it and using a rolling pin first then going over it with a heat gun to finish it up.Im not sure if it will work but would be nice and alot faster than using a heat gun only. Just wanted to see what you guys think and if you have any other ideas or advice..??..

Hydromike love what you did man looks great.. Hows it holding up after all this time??? Have you had any problems with it at all.. what size rivets did you use??

Nice work. I'd like to do this on mine.Just for trail riding. It's a rock farm where I ride. Know anyone who wants to buy some rocks,Heck I'll give 'em away !

Any suggestions as where to get poly like this? The Ebay listing is gone now.

+ Reply to Thread