Abs body cracks.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Abs body cracks.

I did some research on the Oatey black ABS plastic glue. The ingredients are ABS plastic resin, colorant, and 2-Butanone, otherwise knows as Methy Ethyl Ketone, MEK. I tried some patches using MEK instead of acetone, with the same results, still soft after a week, bubbles up when heated So that's not the answer.
    Last night I tried something a little different. I used a heat lamp to heat up the cracked area so it was nice and warm before I applied the ABS and acetone. Then I removed the heat lamp and applied the goop, and went over it after a few minutes with the acetone brush, then again a few minutes later. The idea is that the warm body would help push the acetone out from the bottom of the patch while the cooler air and surface temperature would keep the surface from curing and allow the acetone to escape. I'll see what it looks like today.

Didn't seem to make any difference in the short term. See what happens after a week or 2.

+ Reply to Thread