A friend of mine has had the Superchief for a few months tinkering with it trying to get it to run right. He called today and said that he had done all he could do with the chaparral and he was bringing it back. When he arrived, he informed me that it would only run with the choke on. He said that the fuel-oil mixture might be too rich. I hopped in and it cranked right up and purred like a kitten with the choke on. I made a few passes up and down my road and I was disappointed with the performance, but at least it was running. We shot the breeze for awhile and he left. My neighbor then came over and I decided to put it in the shop. We cranked it up and I cut the choke off and, lo and behold, it kept running. After strapping in the harness, it was time to see what was going to happen. First pass, it was starting to clear out and run better. Second pass, even better. Throttle response better, pulling good, and pretty we'll cleared out. Third pass, time to let it eat. I went to the far end of the road and held it wfo for about 1/4 mile. She was absolutely screaming when I passed my driveway with my neighbors cheering me on. On the verge of out of control, I heard one loud pop, then another. I suddenly realized that I was going warp speed and had no controls at all. No brakes, no steering, nothing. Down across the ditch, out through my elderly neighbors yard, missing four different oak trees by only inches. I finally rolled to a stop in another neighbors yard. After cutting off the engine, I could hear Steven laughing hysterically. I finally got the harness loose and discovered that the nuts had come off of the chain adjusters on both sides and my rear chains had come off. I laughed all the way back to the shop as we were towing it in. What a wild ride.

McCot