Chain slap question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chain slap question

Chain slap question

My wife's Attex has some real bad chain slap on the left side when she turns (chain going from the trans to the rear of the machine). I have tried to tighten the chain up but if I take a link out or try to reconnect with a half link the chain is too short, even with the tool to reconnect and with all of the tensioners loose. I have tried to tighten up the chain going from the trans to the front of the machine and I have run into the same problem. My problem with this chain is that it rides against the support between the frame rails Picture). Any suggestions?
    Attached Images
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Looking at that picture the bearing looks bad in the idler, it is sitting off center of the bolt and in a bind in the chain.

Doesn't matter. The idler is at it's lowest point. Even with a new one the chain is still too loose.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-11-2016 at 06:54 PM.

Bridget and Jim make excellent points. Something is wrong with the idler. Either the bearing is shot or it's not the right size id for the bolt. It is clearly crooked in the pic though. Also, did you buy new chain for it? Old chain can stretch to where it can't be tightened even using half links. New chain can be very difficult to put on sometimes even with the adjusters off. I use heavy duty zip ties to help connect chain.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Bridget and Jim make excellent points. Something is wrong with the idler. Either the bearing is shot or it's not the right size id for the bolt. It is clearly crooked in the pic though. Also, did you buy new chain for it? Old chain can stretch to where it can't be tightened even using half links. New chain can be very difficult to put on sometimes even with the adjusters off. I use heavy duty zip ties to help connect chain.
    I am going with new chain. Everyone won't give the idler thing a rest. I know that it is misaligned but even when I put a new one on it is not going to make any difference if the chain is too long. Sometimes posting a question on line just ends up frustrating me more. It is difficult sometimes trying to get people to really understand what you are talking about. They get fixed on one thing and can't get past it. Really? Do I have to put a new idler sprocket on the thing just to show everyone that it still is not working the correct way???

Quote Originally Posted by smudvapor View Post
    I am going with new chain. Everyone won't give the idler thing a rest. I know that it is misaligned but even when I put a new one on it is not going to make any difference if the chain is too long. Sometimes posting a question on line just ends up frustrating me more. It is difficult sometimes trying to get people to really understand what you are talking about. They get fixed on one thing and can't get past it. Really? Do I have to put a new idler sprocket on the thing just to show everyone that it still is not working the correct way???
    yep !!!

Sorry, couldn't resist it

Put the idler on under it and push up if it fits. Maybe that will put some tension on her.
    Last edited by amphibious drew; 05-04-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Bye the way. Did you notice your idler is off.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

The idler looks to large to be able to put under the chain, which is what I would have suggested. Currently the idler, if on the rear looks in proper orientation. So if your having problems running out of adjustment, a chain it must be.
    It is hard for us to assist in correcting a problem without being there to see it and from the picture we can all see the alignment issue, however while we can imagine it, cannot see how close it is to the frame support or how tight the chain is.
    Sorry if we frustrated you more by seeing what we see.

smudvapor, here is a possibility that may work fine. measure the o.d. of the round tube between the frame rails that the chain is rubbing. maybe if you got a 2 piece shaft coupler for that tube, weld a good piece of flat bar to one half of the coupler and on the other end a new bolt that your idler fits on. then clamp that setup on the tube so the idler is between the chain pushing up on the top chain. you can slide the coupler rite or left for alignment and pull it up against the chain for tension. hopefully the idler will fit inbetween the chains and when pulled up for tension won't be hitting the lower chain. if there is not enough space between the two either a smaller idler some type of roller would suffice. the idler of course would be on the side of the tube away from the sprocket. maybe this will help, johnboy va.

+ Reply to Thread