Cracked my abs again

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cracked my abs again

Cracked my abs again

I cracked my cracks again. The ones between the front and middle tires from slamming against fallen logs when climbing them. I just cant control myself enought to just go around the stupid logs. I need to add some sort of metal bracing/skid plate or something there. I was looking around and have some 1 1/2" by .185(probably suppose to be 3/16). Was thinking of running it down the bottom front to back. Going up 4-6 inches on the front and same probably on the back. Probably anchored front, middle and back but was thinking welding the bolts in the metal so that the head isnt sticking out and having nut on inside. Or counter sinking. Its not real beefy but light. You guys think that is strong enough? I hate to drill holes in the plastic but I can fill it if I ever need to and plus it is hopefully going to protect it from further damage. Any other suggestions?
    Larry

you could use carriage bolts to the outside......smooth and round.

I wonder if the spray on bed liner would stick to ABS? have it applied without the non-skid sand, it'd be like perfectly molded HDPE, I think that's what it is.....and, if it will stick, no fasteners to deal with, no water leaks, quite tough, and, repairable by plastic welding.....

Just some thoughts...
    good luck,
    Henry
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

Larry,

Ebay has the sheets rather cheaply, too. Check them out here.

This 4-sheet lot is enough to do two machines. It's quite a bit of effort, but well worth it in the end. This stuff is a full 1/4" thick, and will really help the machine stand the test of time. Weight is negligable (maybe adds 10 pounds?), and the ground clearance you lose is outweighed by the fact that you can jack the entire machine up without as much as flexing the bottom plate. It does require quit a bit of patience. If you or anyone care to tackle a similar project, I'd be happy to answer questions, and try to let folks know what it entailed....

~m

+ Reply to Thread