Fiberglass mesh and ABS goo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

Thread: Fiberglass mesh and ABS goo

Threaded View

Fiberglass mesh and ABS goo

Have been reading through all of the threads regarding ABS repairs and have a couple of questions about it that I couldn't find the answers to in the body of any of the threads:

Which works better for making goo, acetone or MEK? Which of the two seems to make a better bond to the original hull?

When you guys describe soaking fiberglass mesh in goo, which fiberglass material do you use? Fiberglas matt? Woven fiberglass cloth? That fiberglass mesh tape that is used with drywall? Any or all of it, depending on the size/thickness of the repair?

What is the typical rate of cure for slurry/goo? I understand that thin layers of it are better than thick, but what is a thin layer - 1/16th of an inch or less? More? (want to build up the corners where the metal plates were and would like to have an idea of just how thick I can go while building up layers and the time in between applications)

I have approximately 60 pounds of 1/16" milled glass fiber. Would it be wise to mix a given, proportional quantity of this material into the slurry for making an even stronger, ABS-based material? Thoughts?

Lastly, have any of you used the bulk, Lustran ABS pellets that are available on the auction site for making your ABS slurry?
    Last edited by Vezdekhod; 07-24-2016 at 09:12 AM.
    I have to have a Supacat.