HDI 8 wheel stability on water?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HDI 8 wheel stability on water?

HDI 8 wheel stability on water?

Is it possible to turn an 8 wheel machine over? I am running stock tires at 3psi, don't have the ROPS or any other weight that sits high, no tracks, and do have front and rear racks and a winch. My thought is it would be hard to turn over since you would have to sink all 4 tires, which are very buoyant. I know you can get the sides down enough to take on water, but will it actually flip over?

The reason I am asking is this weekend a bunch of us went out riding on a pipeline that has a shallow pond on it. I have never seen anyone not be able to walk all the way across it and get more than chest deep. Well, I had 5 adults, 2 in front and 3 in back, which I know is 1 more than the manufacturer recommends on water, plus an ice chest full of beer(hmmm....maybe I just found out the problem...ha!). I started into the pond to make a wide circle and come back out. It floated fine at first but when I got out a little and the tires had nothing on bottom to bounce off of the 'fun' started! As it started going from side to side my passengers got scared and were trying to go to the opposite side. I yelled for them to not move and let me do the corrections but that didn't matter. It would start slowly sinking to one side, then slowly all the way back to the other side. Water did spill over the sides a couple times. I had the bilge pump on but it never took on enough for it to pump out. We made it out without incident but I was very nervous about how it acted. If they would have all leaned hard to one side, I wonder if that would have been enough to sink the tires past center and roll us over??

I don't have an 8 wheeler but I believe anything is capable of turning over. And yes, if everybody had leaned one way, it would've swamped and maybe sank. When I'm in my Max 4 and need to turn while floating I lean in the direction of the turn and that side goes down and helps me turn faster. And that's just 1 person, not 5. I regard what the manufacturer says about weight capacity as being real generous when I float.

Quote Originally Posted by cdover73 View Post
    Is it possible to turn an 8 wheel machine over? I am running stock tires at 3psi, don't have the ROPS or any other weight that sits high, no tracks, and do have front and rear racks and a winch. My thought is it would be hard to turn over since you would have to sink all 4 tires, which are very buoyant. I know you can get the sides down enough to take on water, but will it actually flip over?

The reason I am asking is this weekend a bunch of us went out riding on a pipeline that has a shallow pond on it. I have never seen anyone not be able to walk all the way across it and get more than chest deep. Well, I had 5 adults, 2 in front and 3 in back, which I know is 1 more than the manufacturer recommends on water, plus an ice chest full of beer(hmmm....maybe I just found out the problem...ha!). I started into the pond to make a wide circle and come back out. It floated fine at first but when I got out a little and the tires had nothing on bottom to bounce off of the 'fun' started! As it started going from side to side my passengers got scared and were trying to go to the opposite side. I yelled for them to not move and let me do the corrections but that didn't matter. It would start slowly sinking to one side, then slowly all the way back to the other side. Water did spill over the sides a couple times. I had the bilge pump on but it never took on enough for it to pump out. We made it out without incident but I was very nervous about how it acted. If they would have all leaned hard to one side, I wonder if that would have been enough to sink the tires past center and roll us over??
    Hi Mr. Dover. I have to ask ,how many of your five passengers were over 200 lbs? Were any of them over 250 lbs? If you manage to fill an Argo Big foot 6 wheel with water it will sink nose down with the rear hitch above water. At least the one with a roof rack that my friend dove off of did. I towed it to shore with my Avenger.

i would think to actually '' flip it like a canoe'' , it would need to be a on purpose effort.. on the count of 3, everyone jump to the left side''. but other than that, once one side or the front or back gets low enough to start taking on water and the tub filling... then no more driving back to shore. i just wonder even if the tub filled up, would the tires air keep it from actually sinking or would it just float maybe 3/4 below the water ? johnboy va.

I filled up a Max IV one time while attempting to climb out of the water onto the ice. Almost made it out but then it slid back in with the left rear taking on water. It was about four feet deep. As it filled up it stayed shiny side up. It leaned a lot but in the short time it took to fill up it righted itself again. I would think an 8 wheeler might react the same but wouldn't wanna find out. Luckily I remembered to kill the engine before she sank.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Well we had a HDI out with 4 people in it, I asked everyone to stay put and stood off the side with my but out and didn't take on water or sink, however 4 people doing such may do a major difference. Side and rear entry of water with a machine over capacity will lead to a full or sunk machine!

Sorry Sam

It's full to the seat and any movement brought more water in.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Rofl!!! I am soo glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had an anal-cranial inversion (wait for it....)!! I knew the water wasn't deep enough to actually sink it, but it was deep enough to allow water in over the sides a couple times. Like I said it wasn't enough for the bilge pump to even pick up and very little drained out when I pulled the plugs after. I know 5 was over the limit, and to answer Philip's question....yes I am at 270 and the other front passenger was about the same. The three in the back were females, and would beat me down if I told their weight! ha Even so, we were for sure over the recommended capacity. I wouldn't have took the chance had we been in an unknown water source. Being as though I knew how deep this was and even in worst case scenario of taking a full tub of water on we still wouldn't have lost the machine so I figured I would try it out. Stupid? Maybe. But now I know where its limits are in that respect.

My knowledge of the Argo is growing every time I take it out. I remember the very first pieces of advice this board gave me about learning how to maneuver now seems like 2nd nature. Now I would like to learn the extreme limits of the machine so I can know better what NOT to do. The best way to do that is by asking questions, not by trial and error! So on that note and back to my original question...will the 8 wheel HDI be able to do a barrel roll or will the buoyancy of the 4 tires keep it from going all the way under? I know the tub will fill and it can sink. But I saw a video on Youtube with two guys on a ROPS unit literally trying to turn it over in deep water and couldn't even get the sides to take on water. Is it really that stable or am I missing something???
    Last edited by cdover73; 05-11-2017 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Typo

Though I would not wish to try it my best guess is no. HOWEVER, what I believe would or could happen is a machine tilted to one side would allow water to enter through engine vents and side entry points somewhat filling the machine and increasing weight, any adjustment of weight (especially forward) would further lower the engine vents towards water line and suck more in making it nose heavy and continue taking water until the inevitable plunge. I was at an outing that just this happened sinking the frontier 6x6 which nosed just as Warren wrote of the Bigfoot.
    I would be more concerned of nosing than rolling, but sunk is sunk, Sam was lucky the machine was loaded fairly even and the water was chest deep but the other fellow was in 15' or more and not lucky at all with a near death drowning because someone had a seatbelt on.

I personally just filled my v2 at Busco not paying attention and a passenger trying to help me lean in the water, not a fun feeling when your butt gets wet.

Warren has a vid of stills on YouTube and so do the boys at the mud nationals of what I just described.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Cdover go back to the YouTube video and see if that is the machine with dual wheels. The extra wheels add buoyancy and stability.
    Last edited by dirtdobber; 05-12-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: correct poster's name

Quote Originally Posted by cdover73 View Post
    My thought is it would be hard to turn over since you would have to sink all 4 tires, which are very buoyant.
    Doesn't matter how buoyant those 4 tires are, you have 4 equally buoyant tires on the other side trying to push themselves up and out of the water. Unless you tip enough for those 4 to completely leave the water (at that point your already filling) the 4 under water make no difference. The only effect tires have for stability is their width they essentially add to the tub, assuming they grant any more than that would be the same as thinking the more you tipped a canoe over the more of it would be submerged and the more it try and right itself. If that was the case I sure have not noticed.

+ Reply to Thread