4 stroke smokes on steep inclines, how can I stop this?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4 stroke smokes on steep inclines, how can I stop this?

4 stroke smokes on steep inclines, how can I stop this?

22hp predator. I had the machine in a 45 degree angle while going through a ravine and the low oil switch shut it down. Rolled back and started it on less of an angle and it smoked like it was wounded. Now it just smokes all the time

There is a crank case breather that vents the bottom of the engine to the air filter housing. Under normal running conditions there is nothing more than a slight vapor coming out of the vent and the engine burns it without you even noticing. On a steep incline you can push oil through that vent and into the carb. the solution is to remove the vent from the air filter housing. plug the hole left in the filter housing and extend the vent with a piece of hose to a catch tank. I just use a clear plastic water bottle for a catch tank. this allows you to see how much oil the engine has pushed out as well
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

So the motor is probably not hurt I'm assuming. It looked like one of the old war videos of tanks burning oil for a smoke screen haha!

Quote Originally Posted by gearbound View Post
    So the motor is probably not hurt I'm assuming. It looked like one of the old war videos of tanks burning oil for a smoke screen haha!
    I have the predator in my machine and I bought a catch can and mounted to plastic engine housing works great and no smoke for me. theres a pic in the max gallery somewhere on here if you have time to find it
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gearbound View Post
    It should be fine. you just put a bunch of oil where the engine didn't want it to be. may take a while for it to burn off. In extreme cases (usually a rollover) I've seen the air filter get saturated with oil. just make sure yours is dry and you should be good to go
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

You didn't hurt anything. Those guys were dead on. Those engines will do it on long high RPM runs as well. Catch can is way to go. I also think the oil burning has something to do with the large amount of air that those 2 barrels suck. In the beginning before we moved the breather vent we smoked a lot. The smoke is misleading. We've never had to actually add oil. You'll also notice once you have the catch can there isn't that much oil mostly condensation.

Make a catch can with a return line, it will act like a temporary holding tank and when you get level the oil will drain back into the crank case. I had to do this to my Kawasaki Brute force, it would fill the air box with oil every time I pulled a catwalk or rode up a very steep hill.

+ Reply to Thread