canvas top fitting

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: canvas top fitting

canvas top fitting

this is my first post on this forum. I have a new to me 2007 Argo. The canvas top is really saggy in the middle. It looks like it's missing a support. The top snaps onto the windshield then there is a frame that goes across at the back. Should there be another support holding up the middle of the top?

I'm not sure how to attach a photo yet in this forum so here is a link. I hope it works.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/kyidH6RdnUEBpqZf8

Also, what is the 6-in post sticking up on the front just behind the right headlight? It has a nylon strap with a snap on the end attached to it

The post supports the windshield when it is laid forward onto the hood.
    It looks like the windshield needs to be pushed toward the front of the machine to tighten the top or the rear support needs pulled aft to take the slack out of the roof. Are the front windshield support bars adjustable? If they can be shortened, that will take the sag out of the roof.

Yep. Windshield should be near vertical. Shortening those front support bars should help. Also, there should be another pc of aluminum tubing attached about mid way up on the rear hoop and going to about the middle of the top. Looked for a pic of mine but don't have any posted.

I tried pulling the windshield forward and while it tightens up the top, but those bars aren't adjustable and anyway,the sides are made to fit it in the raked position. I guess I'll look for some poles and mounting hardware, maybe from a marine place.

I found out the purpose of the post and strap. It's one of a pair that the windshield tests on in the lowered position.. the price to make the midfield one on the left side is almost $150. Surely I can find plumbing parts to make a decent enough match.

Thanks for your help.

To make the additional loop, the marine stuff is called "Bimini" cover/top material. Right on the money using std. plumbing items to make a new post for the windshield to rest on when down. Make and USE the strap w/the snap. It prevents the windshield from bouncing up then slamming back down on the rests and shattering. Ask me how I know this (twice now) LOL.

Is that a factory top? looks strange but could be because its only mostly up.
    There should be a mid hoop that extends forward from the rear hoop to the center to taughten the roof, I almost want to say I can see it through the window but can't.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

There should be a mid-hoop but it's missing. If you could post a photo of that piece, ARGOJIM, that shows the attachment point and how it keeps the correct angle that would be really helpful.
    The side windows both cracked when I unrolled them in the cold. I'm ordering 30 gauge vinyl to make new ones.
    and is that canvas ever hard to stretch between the zippers and the snaps in the cold. I hope after I do it a few times it might loosen up.

+ Reply to Thread