need help,engine wont start

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help,engine wont start

need help,engine wont start

hi, i havent been on in awhile i have been really busy with work. ok i have a 295 wildwolf that has the original engine in it. it wont start i thought it was the battery but i bought a new battery and it still wont start. all it does is it sounds like its barely turning over. idk what to do any help? thanks

Hi 295 WW. Like yourself, I have a 295 WW, nice reliable machine really, just gotta get the gremlins!
    Probably electrical. Check ALL connections between battery and starter, including ground connections for loose nuts, or frayed wires. You can jump from the battery + to the starter motor terminal (Wire from Solenoid to starter motor) If it cranks much better, its on the plus side. Jump from the - to the motor block, and turn the key, if that gets it to crank faster, it's on the ground side. (Check the groud straps from: the motor to the mount, Mount to the frame, Frame to the battery. Also, try tapping the side of the starter motor with a WRENCH NOT A HAMMER. Could be a hung brush, sharp but not forceful hits can knock them loose. OK, if NONE of that does it, and your sure the battery is charged---
    Did you try the recoil starter? It should spin without too much resistance except during compression, then it will be tough, but not impossible. If you can't pull it over, may be flooded, if its tought to turn over even between compression, gummed up or damaged bearings?
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

thanks for the help ill have to try it tommorrow when its daylight. i tried tappin the starter and nothing happened so its not that and we just replaced the coil so hopefully its not that

Quote Originally Posted by 295 wildwolf View Post
    ............. it wont start i thought it was the battery but i bought a new battery and it still wont start. all it does is it sounds like its barely turning over. idk what to do any help? thanks
    New battery and barely cranks over usually adds up to 1; Poor electrical connections, (Corroded/dirty/loose) 2; Bad starter and/or solenoid; 3; (Knock-on-wood that it isn't) bad engine bearings. I would check these out in this order. Don't mess around with the ignition system until you can get the starting system to work as expected. Have you checked to ensure that your clutch is FULLY dis-engaged? Also, (Dumb question is the new battery fully charged? Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jeff t-boss; 01-05-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

thanks for the help im going to check it out tommorow and make sure the connections are good. hopefully not solenoid we just put a new one in it. the clutch is engaging though i did check that. if the engine bearings are bad how would i know? thnks again

Quote Originally Posted by 295 wildwolf View Post
    thanks for the help im going to check it out tommorow and make sure the connections are good. hopefully not solenoid we just put a new one in it. the clutch is engaging though i did check that. if the engine bearings are bad how would i know? thnks again
    Quote Originally Posted by 6X6 View Post
    .....Did you try the recoil starter? It should spin without too much resistance except during compression, then it will be tough, but not impossible. If you can't pull it over, may be flooded, if its tought to turn over even between compression, gummed up or damaged bearings?
    Should spin smoothly, gritty or notchy feeling, or the above resistance between compressions says "Bearings". As before, My moneys still on a frayed wire or loose connection.
    SO, I would try jumping each pole + and - seperately, One at a time, as I posted in my first post, this will isolate the problem. If no connections are loose, you can jump each wire to find out if one is internally broken.
    Last edited by 6X6; 01-06-2009 at 03:50 AM.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

TRY AND SLACK UP YOUR BELT JUST FOR THIS TEST TO SEE IF THE BEARINGS ARE BAD. Pull out all your spark plugs (All 1 or 2) With the belt slacked up, you should be able to grab the clutch and spin the motor VERY easily. Or with the pull rope. There will be minimal resistance and the motor will freespin to a smooth stop after pulling the rope. Someone also mentioned the possibility of it being flooded. If that is the case, you will (LIterally) shoot out any excess fluid in the cylinder(s) with the plug (s) removed. You mentioned that the clutch IS engaging. IT SHOULDN'T UNTIL AFTER YOU GET THE ENGINE RUNNING AND YOU RAISE THE RPM'S. If the clutch is trying to turn the belt while you are starting the engine, THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM RIGHT THERE. Like I said, slack up (loosen) the belt as much as possible and see what happens.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

ok thanks for the tips guys i really appreciate it i havent got to work on it yet because the weather here in pa has been pretty bad ill try once the rain goes away so i dont get soaked really helpful to thanks

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    I would think that if it ran good before you parked it the electrical side of things is where you will find the trouble.Bearings don't normally go bad while sitting but connections will corrode while stored.

ok, sorry i have been really busy this week. well ok i checked all the electrical connections and they seemed good i then tried to run the positive to the starter and try that but it still did the same thing. i also tried and loosened the clutch and i could spin it easily until it felt like it was at the top of the engine and it was a little harder but could still turn it. does this mean engine bearings are bad or is my starter junk? if starter is bad where can i get one and how much are they? thanks for the help guys really appreciate it

+ Reply to Thread