Project Attex

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Project Attex

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    Don, please correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think green bodies were ever made in ABS. if we don't hear from Don, try some straight acetone just to be sure
    Yes, they were, but they're pretty rare. There are even a few first gen. green ones around. Joe H had a very nice green Wild Wolf a couple years ago, but I think he's since sold it. This one sure looks like the same model.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Yes, they were, but they're pretty rare. There are even a few first gen. green ones around. Joe H had a very nice green Wild Wolf a couple years ago, but I think he's since sold it. This one sure looks like the same model.

Hey Don, isn't that funny? Both our posts were within one minute of each other..........apparently great minds think alike.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Hey Don, isn't that funny? Both our posts were within one minute of each other..........apparently great minds think alike.

But you must be faster on the keyboard!

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

thanks Jeff and Don, i love this site! learn something everyday
    Last edited by racerone3; 02-07-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

start rebuild

OK guys, thanks for all the help and encouragement so far!
    I have decided that this is more fun than ever, and I am starting to do a teardown/rebuild of this attex.
    I was tearing around yesterday and lost a axle bearing. Rather than do a repair, I have decided to do a more complete job. I am planning to pull the frame out and paint it, do some body pan repairs, replace axle bearings, seals and chains. So I will be busy for the next few months.

I had an awesome time riding around for testing, but now is time to do some permanent repairs.

Thanks again for your interest and help. You will be hearing from me.

Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by coldnorth View Post
    I am starting to do a teardown/rebuild of this attex.
    I was tearing around yesterday and lost a axle bearing. Rather than do a repair, I have decided to do a more complete job. I am planning to pull the frame out and paint it, do some body pan repairs, replace axle bearings, seals and chains. So I will be busy for the next few months.
    Sounds like your attex gets another chance of life!!! You wont regret it. Its nice having a machine you can rely on. Have fun with the rebuild!!!

LarryW

OK
    I got some Acetone today. Acetone definitely softens the material, so I guess that makes it ABS?
    Thanks
    Lamar

Yup, it's ABS. Has all the makings of a really nice machine. Good luck with it!

Progress?

Hi again,
    Thanks for the interest, guys.

I now have the ole girl tore apart. I posted pics in my gallery if interested.

The axles were tough to get out of the bearings and sprocket tubes, but since 3 of them were bent, and I plan to replace them anyway, I just cut them off with a sawzall and then pressed the sprocket tubes off. I plan to make new axles to fit some more standard ATV wheels and tires.

New bearings, axles, chains, wheels, tires, etc will be forthcoming as budget permits.
    I plan to paint the frame, repair the body pan and install a hitch while it is apart.

I received lots of help and tips from members here and from the technical parts of this site.

Thanks to all.
    Lamar

Engine swap help?

Hi guys.
    I am finally taking time to report some progress here. I got lots of help earlier and I appreciate it.

The axles, bearings, chain, wheels, tires are all installed. 6 new Carlisle Strykers are mounted and ready to spin! T20 Trans is gone over and installed. I used 3 wheeler hubs welded to new 1" axles and all new bearings.

Next is engine. I have a B&S twin 20hp setting here ready for install, but have some question on the clutch. The original JLO has a tapered shaft for the drive clutch, the B&S has 1" with key. I have some question about 4 stroke rpms compared to the JLO 2 stroke. Will the clutch work or is RPMs too low on the 4stroke? I can get an adapter sleeve made to put the clutch on if I am assured that it would work.

Thanks
    I will try to post some pics later.

Coldnorth

+ Reply to Thread