Hydraulic drive for my ATTEX

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydraulic drive for my ATTEX

Hydraulic drive for my ATTEX

Hey folks,

I'm new to this forum, but you look like a great bunch of folks to share stuff with.

I have an older ATTEX, and since I'm a mechanical type, think I'll try something I haven't seen on these units yet. I'm going to re-power the rig with hydraulic motors, and see how she works.

One advantage I see is that forward and reverse are instantaneous, so one side can go forward, the other reverse, can turn in it's own footprint. Another advantage is the torque available.

Anyway, I have have a well worn but complete JLO 275L engine, a T20 transmission, and torque converter, belt and engine mount.

Any comments or ideas as I enter the world of oil?

johncmr

one problem you will have is overheating your oil,very hard to keep cool. Try talking to member Matt o he builds the muddox, it is a hydrolic driven AATV
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

Quote Originally Posted by johncmr View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm new to this forum, but you look like a great bunch of folks to share stuff with.

I have an older ATTEX, and since I'm a mechanical type, think I'll try something I haven't seen on these units yet. I'm going to re-power the rig with hydraulic motors, and see how she works.

One advantage I see is that forward and reverse are instantaneous, so one side can go forward, the other reverse, can turn in it's own footprint. Another advantage is the torque available.

Anyway, I have have a well worn but complete JLO 275L engine, a T20 transmission, and torque converter, belt and engine mount.

Any comments or ideas as I enter the world of oil?

johncmr
    You may not be happy with the result due to the extra weight loss in speed and expense. The ATTEX is a light machine with 1" axles and a light frame. The entire drive /frame will have to be re engineered. If you use surplus z mower components the ATTEX will perform similar to the mower. ATTEX respond well to 4 stroke conversions and 2 stroke rebuilds. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    You may not be happy with the result due to the extra weight loss in speed and expense. The ATTEX is a light machine with 1" axles and a light frame. The entire drive /frame will have to be re engineered. If you use surplus z mower components the ATTEX will perform similar to the mower. ATTEX respond well to 4 stroke conversions and 2 stroke rebuilds. Just my two cents.
    Marc hit the nail right on the head. Keep the T-20 in it, put in a 4 stroke V twin or rebuild a 2 stroke and you will have a really nice machine, much fewer headaches, and A LOT of extra money in your pocket.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Yeah... what they said, and you can split shift the T-20 and your Attex will be able to turn in its own footprint. When you do a donut with the t-20 split there is no hole, just a circle...sweet.

hey

hello johncmr

I am undergoing an almost identical build to what you describe. I purchased an attex with no drivetrain except for sprockets and axles. I have been getting parts for my build, so far I have two hydraulic motors from cub cadet mowers, and a 20 hp four cylinder army surplus engine. As far as the other comments go, I am putting a large oil tank to help keep the fluid cool, and I am building this machine for torque not speed, I have a hustler 950 with the stock drivetrain that I use for normal driving. I figured that the small 1" axles on the attex would be better off with low speeds anyway. I am not sure of a timeline for me to get it done, but I would be happy to share as I build. -kunzmm137
    I don't want to go fast, I just want to go anywhere.

I have about 30 years designing and repairing Hydraulic systems and its possible to build a functional hydrostatic ATTEX. Do the math first before you start purchasing parts. Calculating the torque and speed desired will give you an indication of all the compromises you will have to deal with.
    Here is a website to help you with the math Hydraulic Tutorials

+ Reply to Thread