208TT finished almost

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 208TT finished almost

208TT finished almost

Well after quite some time I have finally been able to run this vehicle, is quite fun although have a few questions regarding the vanguard 16HP

1st has to do with the governor and how to set it up properly, or remove it intirely, so what have all you guys done

2nd have any of you had problems with the beads on tires that are unable to seat and also bend so it cannot even keep in 10-15psi without popping off the rim

3rd I have not run it much yet although it does seem to run hot, all the vents are clear and the original cover is in place which has lots of openings

Any help will be appreciated

Sparky
    Attached Images

First of all, you did a great job on this restoration! That 208TT sure is a beauty, and it probably hauls with that 16HP Vanguard in it.

As far as the govenor goes, you have to remove the red governor spring and replace it with the green govenor spring (available from Recreatives Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511 )

When it comes to cooling, how do you have your exhaust and intake ductwork routed? Try using some fiberglass header wrap around the exhaust to keep the temp down under the engine compartment. A lot of guys are using plastic cool air intake shrouds from Argos that come on the ones with the Vanguard engines. I think that would solve that problem.

What width are your rims? If they are too narrow (less than 8 inches wide) I'm guessing that could be a problem.

Keep us updated on the process, and don't worry about the little bugs that you have to work out, it happens to all of us. But once you get everything dialed in you'll have a blast with that awesome little Attex. Nice work!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks Swift, it has been quite the project, from replacing the inner rails to chaning almost all the components especially when I dont really know about the 6X6 just a understanding of how things work. I am really waiting to get it in the water, just need to fill in afew holes and away we go

sparky

Are those bead lock rims,I can't tell,They look good.

Smile attex

Quote Originally Posted by sparky96730 View Post
    Well after quite some time I have finally been able to run this vehicle, is quite fun although have a few questions regarding the vanguard 16HP

1st has to do with the governor and how to set it up properly, or remove it intirely, so what have all you guys done

2nd have any of you had problems with the beads on tires that are unable to seat and also bend so it cannot even keep in 10-15psi without popping off the rim

3rd I have not run it much yet although it does seem to run hot, all the vents are clear and the original cover is in place which has lots of openings

Any help will be appreciated

Sparky
    send picts of exhaust, set up etc

Guys,
    The rims are not bead lock, they are conventional ATV rims manufctured by ITP, hope the bead lock does not create a problem. I will be using this mainly on the road and beach more for fun then anything like heavy off road and hunting/racing

I will post the exhaust and and also installed a remove shifter so that I can change F-R with not trouble, via a push/pull cable and works pretty neat just need to refine all the little issues.

Now a question to you. In running in water the outside level looks to be quite high (from pictures) and this would put a lot of pressure outside the tube, and thereby forcing a lot of water into the vehicle. There area couple of holes in my tub that would fill the interior and create lots of rust/contaminates on the running gear and motor, are these necessary

sparky

Quote Originally Posted by sparky96730 View Post
    Guys,
    The rims are not bead lock, they are conventional ATV rims manufctured by ITP, hope the bead lock does not create a problem. I will be using this mainly on the road and beach more for fun then anything like heavy off road and hunting/racing

I will post the exhaust and and also installed a remove shifter so that I can change F-R with not trouble, via a push/pull cable and works pretty neat just need to refine all the little issues.

Now a question to you. In running in water the outside level looks to be quite high (from pictures) and this would put a lot of pressure outside the tube, and thereby forcing a lot of water into the vehicle. There area couple of holes in my tub that would fill the interior and create lots of rust/contaminates on the running gear and motor, are these necessary

sparky
    I don't run bead locks and dont have any problems. You just have to learn how many PSI the tires can handle without coming off or breaking a bead. I probably cant run as low as other but I dont have any issues.

Could you take a picture of the holes? There is a drain plug or 2 in the back that is necessary for draining it. Here is a picture showing the original drain hole on the left, I added the one on the right. I do have the frame out in this picture and you can see where a hitch is normally installed with the 3 holes near center.

These holes arent necassary for any reason other then to drain. They are required if you run in water at all. Water will always find a way in, through bearings/axle, over the top and on your lap, through melted spots near exhaust exits on the non 208tt 1st gen. models and through exhaust exit on exiting waters with a severely steeped bank on the 208tt model or missing rivets in wheel wells...... You need them. You could make a simple plug using your imagination or you can purchase them at marine shop, tractor supply or even hardware stores with different diameters.

My shifters are just a rod running through the floor pan to the linkage. Simple and works well. Just an idea.

Hope I helped!!!

I be a little nieve on how the drain holes work, as I have yet to take it in the water. Just by reviewing the pictures throughout this site it looks as though the water level on the outside of the tub runs quite high and if that is true, then these lower holes will have lots of outside presure and lots of water will enter and we all know water is always level and depending how long you are in for could put the inside water level at above the transmission ???????

I have attached some pictures of the holes (which do seem to match yours) and also the shifter that I installed.

Thanks for all the good advice

Sparky
    Attached Images

hey sparky, the drain holes need plugs before you go into water. you can use snap in type boat plugs, or make some simple ones with rubber grommets and 1/4 bolts. i use 1 in od, 1/4 inch id grommets. one inside and 1 outside with the bolts through to squeeze them tight to the body. remove them to drain it out when you get some water in the tub.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thumbs down

Nice looking machine there Sparky. Looks like a lot of work has gone into this machine!

+ Reply to Thread