Poly Attex

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poly Attex

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!

Poly Attex

Can someone tell me what year and even better what s/n# body, that ATTEX switched from ABS to ---> Poly?
    It may be different from the 400, 450, etc...

Also,
    what are the advantages and dis-advantages of running a 2stroke and 4stroke on the outings you folks go to like Busco, Philipsburg, Ashtabula, etc... and just everyday playing around in the swamp.

thanks...ed

Everything before 1976 was ABS plastic, then in '76 Attex built the Superchief and Spirit models (they were bright orange). In '77 they moved to a more yellow plastic or optional dark green and built the Superchief and Tomahawk models both with a Li'ltruck option offered.

For Busco at least, it's good to have a four-stroke for the trails and a two-stroke to blast around on the dunes with. As much as I hate to admit it, four strokes do better on the trails (did I really say that out loud?). With the long rides that the Carolina boys tend to take, you'd need an extra gas tank with a big two-stroke!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

For Busco at least, it's good to have a four-stroke for the trails and a two-stroke to blast around on the dunes with. As much as I hate to admit it, four strokes do better on the trails (did I really say that out loud?). With the long rides that the Carolina boys tend to take, you'd need an extra gas tank with a big two-stroke![/QUOTE]

sweettttttttttttttttttttttttt the master has spoken and yes you said it outloud . hehehehe . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Thanks Don and Robbie.
    So any thing yellow or 1977/later would be a Poly body?
    I live in Michigan and have seen ABS and fiberglass cold weather issues first hand.
    Plan on staying with a POLY whatever I get.
    I do like the Attex.....

thanks...ed

edit...
    I was just looking at Tim's Thunderchief in the gallery and that looks yellow to me, but talking to him he said it was ABS and was built around 73 and sold around 75...
    Last edited by PlumCrazy; 10-28-2009 at 07:55 PM.

body color won't determine material (other than the orange variations... the plastic i'm told started yellow but aged to orange or even a salmon color... that was only in '76 i think and those bodys are poly. for an example of the color, look at dons avitar. that machine is an orange 76) otherwise, attex came in green or yellow, both abs and poly. a 77 or later body should be poly. take some acetone with you when you go to check out a machine. rub a little on the body and let it sit a few seconds. if it's abs the plastic will get soft where the acetone touched it. poly wont be affected at all
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I havent had any issues but I have had issues with log hopping and tow straps. The logs cracked the bottom between the tires when I landed on it and I was able to fix it. The strap was hooked to my hitch, then wrapped around axle and then tree. It pulled the strap into my body. I also was able to fixed it. I no longer worry. I can fix it!!!

Poly bodies are ideal though!!!

Last edited by LarryW; 10-28-2009 at 08:16 PM.

There are raised racing stripes on the sides of all the poly bodies. Looks like a "Nike swoosh". On the ABS bodies these stripes were put on the machines using decals. If the swoosh is a flat decal or if there is no swoosh, it's ABS.

FYI, the poly bodies are a bit harder to come by.
    Banned

These two are poly bodies and have the raised (molded in) racing "swoosh"

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/show...3255/ppuser/31

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/show...5451/ppuser/31

These three are all ABS. The Colt (foreground) has no stripe and the two Chiefs behind it have the stripes as decals only.

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/show.../169/ppuser/31

The Colt as a 72 model and the Chiefs were 74 and 75.
    Banned

I understand the SWOOSH now. Raised swoosh is POLY, non-raised is ABS.
    Thanks for the pics, they really help.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    I havent had any issues but I have had issues with log hopping and tow straps. The logs cracked the bottom between the tires when I landed on it and I was able to fix it. The strap was hooked to my hitch, then wrapped around axle and then tree. It pulled the strap into my body. I also was able to fixed it. I no longer worry. I can fix it!!!
    Poly bodies are ideal though!!!
    Do POLY bodies get cracks/holes?
    If so how do you repair those?

+ Reply to Thread