Newby here max vs argo vs attex

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newby here max vs argo vs attex

Newby here max vs argo vs attex

Hi every one I'm mike (aka)vachevyguy in northern va would like as much info on this want to buy 1 leaning toward the max just from what I've read so far any help would be appreciated

Hi Mike, Welcome to the site.
    Argo, Max, and Attex are all fine machines, and you can't go wrong with any of them.....That said, there are some differences that may make individual machines undesirable for you or your driving style. Personal preference also makes a big difference..... How do you plan to use it? If you are looking for hauling lots of gear/ hunting equipment, look at the Argo 8 wheel machines. If you want small and sporty, and no passengers, it's hard to beat a MaxII or an Attex.

Attex: Early machines had less desirable transmissions, and more brittle (yet easy enough to fix) ABS plastic bodies.
    The later machines had GT transmissions, and I would avoid these also unless you want to swap it over to a t-20.....
    Most Attex machines you will find for sale will be from the 70's, and just like cars from the 70's, it's hard to compare to modern models. If you are mechanically inclined, These can easily be upgraded, but costs do add up.

Argo: Anything with splined axles should make a nice machine for you.

Max: Look for a plastic gas tank here. That makes the machine approx 1990 or newer, with the 2000's being even better w/ solid splined axles.

70's machines often had 2 stroke motors. Although fast and light weight, the 2 strokes can be tempermental, and lack the low end grunt that is helpful in trail riding.
    Unless you are mechanically inclined and like to work on equipment, I'd suggest buying a newer machine.
    If you are like me, and have an addiction to changing/modifying/tinkering on things....Just like a classic car with modern motor, trans, suspension upgrades, a custom amphib is always cool. Many members have taken older machines and improved them to keep up with anything currently made.
    Here is an example...HydroMike's latest project: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/other...d-project.html

If you show up at Ashtabula this weekend, you could check out a variety of machines and See what you like. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/6x6-a...15-2013-a.html Located at: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...,0.005922&z=18

Thanks for the info I believe the max II is for me I see a lot of them on Craigslist prices range greatly from all I've read a 2000 model and newer is what I'm going to look for what's a decent price? As for use I just wanna a toy to play with.
    Would love to go to that show but this weekend I get to bust up concrete
    Thanks so much for your time

Mike

If you want go with a Max I would go with a Max IV. If you just want something to play with I would try and find a nice Attex Super Chief. Don't jump on the 1st thing you see take some time and get a feel for the used AATV market. Just my 2 cents.

Have you considered a Mudd-Ox? A little pricier than a Max but more room to carry passengers and more maneuverable since it is hydraulic drive, if you are not familiar with them you can go to Muddox.net to check them out. I don't know how many used ones there are around but you can always contact Matt Oxender, the maker of the MuddOx, to see if he has any leads on used ones or if he has any he has taken as trade ins or demo models. Happy hunting.

Ill check them out
    Ty

+ Reply to Thread