Building a 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building a 6x6

Building a 6x6

l wanted to share my skid steer project with you guys, only just started really and not too sure which way l am headed, will explain in a while
    here is my inspiration the supacat powered by a vw turbo diesel engine and autobox

Thrust SSC - Sponsors

okay l have to do this a bit at a time as l keep loosing what l type, must be timing out or something and logging me out, this is the third time l have typed this

right l already have some components around so l am keen to use those to keep the costs down

tryes are 31"x15x15.5 and look like this

wheels are suzuki stud patten
    Last edited by Mike; 11-08-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: merged three consecutive posts. You can edit your original post to add additional information as needed

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    okay l have to do this a bit at a time as l keep loosing what l type, must be timing out or something and logging me out, this is the third time l have typed this
    Try clicking the "Remember Me?" box under the user name & password boxes. Used to happen to me also,lol.

Joe.

ok layout next l sort of lost myself and went round in circles a bit with this, started with no suspension, just brake one side and skid steer round, l recently stripped 3 suzuki vitaras, sidekicks over there l guess ?
    anyway they have the right stud patten for the wheels so l was thinking about mounting the three back axles in a line with a drive shaft above that ran in bearing that were bolted to the diff where the a arm used to bolt, then chain drive down to each diff,
    l was thinking about using a small car engine and box mounted side ways and drive the common shaft off both gearbox outputs effectively locking the gearbox diff

bit like this, please excuse the poor cad drawing

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    Try clicking the "Remember Me?" box under the user name & password boxes. Used to happen to me also,lol.

Joe.
    ok thanks will give that a try

anyway that was/is plan A nice and simple, cheap, robust ? easy to fix, downside l can see is weight ??, l can use the axle casing as part of the chassis and mount everything off them,

anyone else used this layout ? did it work ok or do you think it will work well enough
    Last edited by Mike; 11-08-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: merged three consecutive posts. You can edit your original post to add additional information as needed

Wow, you are not kidding about the weight. What does each axle assy weigh? Now you will need to brake each wheel on a side, so 3x the weight of brakes too.
    A MaxII weighs in at about 600#(272kg), A MaxIV about 800#(362kg), Argo Avenger 1300#(590kg), just to list a few.

hi Jim
    not sure about the weight but l can walk about carrying one, will get one on the scales tomorrow, but if l end up under a ton for the finished vehicle l will be doing well l reckon, thats still about half a supacat

its the principle of the drive train that interests me really. will it work ?

anyway moving on from there my thoughts turned to suspension next, l guess it must be better with suspension ??

look like it'll work

Where you from Baloo

The Russians have unusual geography and terrain that they cope with. I've seen about a dozen purpose made machines, it just depends on what you want to build, the SUPACAT is a fine machine, but I would look to the LANDTAMER design due to simplicity, ruggedness, and durability.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Where you from Baloo
    Redditch just south of birmingham

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    The Russians have unusual geography and terrain that they cope wit
    h. I've seen about a dozen purpose made machines, it just depends on what you want to build, the SUPACAT is a fine machine, but I would look to the LANDTAMER design due to simplicity, ruggedness, and durability.
    ok off to investigate the land tamer

thanks Andy

+ Reply to Thread