Tire Help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tire Help

Tire Help

Hey there everybody, been a member for a while but this is my first post. I've got an older max 4 with big plans and alot of questions but for right now here's my dillema. Everybody is always wondering how to seat tires on the rim but my problem is I can't get the old ones off. I can't get the outer bead off to save my life, the inside just popped off like always but the outside almost seems glued on. It's the 8 inch rims and the tires are Nankang chevrons if it matters. So any help is greatly appreciated and sorry for such a long story to say so little.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Firefighter View Post
    Hey there everybody, been a member for a while but this is my first post. I've got an older max 4 with big plans and alot of questions but for right now here's my dillema. Everybody is always wondering how to seat tires on the rim but my problem is I can't get the old ones off. I can't get the outer bead off to save my life, the inside just popped off like always but the outside almost seems glued on. It's the 8 inch rims and the tires are Nankang chevrons if it matters. So any help is greatly appreciated and sorry for such a long story to say so little.
    Hey fire fighter,
    No worries about the long story, it happens alot here. These machines are so cool we all just start rattling away.

As for your tire I have good luck with putting the tire on the ground and putting a special piece of steel I use it like a ramp. Run the truck over it and it usually pops. A good strong board works well. Just place it as close to the bead as possible without hitting the rim and climb it. Sometimes I have to get out and stomp on the tires bead to help pop it. Sometimes if you may have to spin it a little and try again. It normally works 98% of the time.
    Hope it works for you if you haven't done it yet.

Ok I've been wrestling and fighting these stupid things all day and still no progress. I've tried larryw's idea with driving up on them but the board just slides down the side and the bead stays put. I really don't want to take these to a tire shop, everybody around here charges an arm and a leg just to look at ya. One of you geniuses has to have something that will work.

You can cut them off like I did. You will need to cut the steel band that is keeping the bead on, I used a grinder.

Yay I finally got my tires changed! I finally figured out how to pry the bead off and my new ones are on. I know most people down them cause they won't swim but I put GBC Dirt Devils on the max. I figure I've had this thing right at 13 years and it's never floated so I doubt I'll have much call for water speed.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Firefighter View Post
    Yay I finally got my tires changed! I finally figured out how to pry the bead off and my new ones are on. I know most people down them cause they won't swim but I put GBC Dirt Devils on the max. I figure I've had this thing right at 13 years and it's never floated so I doubt I'll have much call for water speed.
    That's great to hear!

+ Reply to Thread