scrambler vs attex??Opinions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: scrambler vs attex??Opinions

scrambler vs attex??Opinions

Well now that I have my scrambler finally steering correctly I am stuck with the decision of puting more time and money into a roll barr winh body repair tires etc.I have an attex with the baker hill trans no tires and needing total rebuild just like I did to the scrambler.The scramblers reliability kind of scares me.Mainly its the steering setup.While it will work great in my half acre muddy yard one day the next day it seems to not want to steer correctly or skid slowlyr work great.I had a hard time just pulling a lawntractor trailer full of firewood through my muddied yard.Is the scrambler strictly just a play machine?The attex seems to be much heavier duty with the #50 chain and bigger sprockets.I like the twin sticks and I understand the skid steering.The attex seems like a keep it simple stupid machine where as the scrambler has good intentions but the whole driven disk and odd cluch brake steering setup just seems like its not the most durable.So before I go to standish with my friend who has an 2x4 honda quad should i focus on the attex or just put faith in the scrambler???And bring a tool box etc.Thanks
    Last edited by flippy; 05-01-2011 at 09:33 AM.

One more thing.I always watch the you tube argo videos and to me the argo is a great machine.I would like to use the scrambler as a workhorse but ifts not meant to be thats fine.Can the scrambler be expected to do even 1/2 of what an argo can do with regards of towing hauling carrying capacity?

Figure out how to get the tires you have to fit either machine.Then fix both machines. Win win situation!

Yes I plan on getting the attex going.I like the scramblers larger size to put my 6 and 4 year old girls in and drive around the yard.I sure wish the scrambler had reverse-Thats been my complete fitness plan lifting the front end up to move it in and out of the garage.I put a floor jack under the rear.

you could get them with a reverse. mine had it and it was just basically a starter motor with a sprocket on the end and it just ran up against the clutch on one side. as far as I remember it wasnt too hard to push backward. I had a lot of practice with that.

The scrambler would be a pretty good machine but there must be something going on with yours, maybe it needs new clutch lining or something. You said the attex has a baker hill but is #50. It should be #40. What transmission do you have 5000, 6000 or 7000? 5000 is suppose to be weak and break but I have no experiece with that one. The 6000 has no reverse and the 7000 does. They are both great transmissions. Im not sure what scrambler you have but if it has balloon tires and are factory you will need to drill the stud holes out to a 5/16 to fit on the attex. The scrambler studs are 5/16-18 threads while the attex is 5/16-24. I have pulled lots of heavy stuff with my attex 208tt and it does well. Not sure if it will be 1/2 an argo but I have dragged a few fairly decent size trees with it. The biggest issue is the light weight. But that is a good thing too when offroading. They have shear pins on the hubs and sprockets which get replaced by bolts that do break on occasion. I put stronger bolts in the hubs and weaker in the sprockets because it is easier to put another bolt in the sprocket on the trails then have to replace bolt in the hub which requires you to take the wheel off the hub. If the planetary rotors are rusty they will eat the brake pads aka pucks. They can be cleaned up by running the machine with no chains and holding sand paper on them. Attex does have a more fragile body but its fixable if something does happen. Make sure to run newer nice chains because when they break they can wrap around the sprocket and crack the body. I now thats sounds like a lot of negative but if it was my choice and it was one or the other, I would go Attex. But I would try real hard to fix and keep the scrambler too. 2 machines are great when you have buddies over and stuff.

The scrambler is working fine and steering correctly.I guess I just dont have enough confidence yet.The more I use it the more I will trust it.Yes the attex does have #50 chain so maybe the trans is a 6000.No reverse.I replaced the clutch linings and brake linings and put a good running 16hp flat twin in the scrambler so I am happy with it now.I just worry to much sometimes.The scrambler does have stock balloon tires .They dont have much life left though.I appreciate the information on the attex.I have studied the pictures of the scramblers with the electric reverse.Very ingenious the way the driven disk has flywheel teeth.I have plans to add reverse by putting a sprocket on the main shaft or some other type of attachment to the main shaft.Maybe with a winch in back I wont need to.

I am happy to see that there is info around the site for my scrambler-1970-

Too bad your in the states... I have a nice Argo that would make a great trade for you scrambler... Unless you could get it up here... the Argo dosen't float... BUT it is nice for pulling/gathering wood, and pretty good in the mud. The scrambler would just be more of a play machine for me.

+ Reply to Thread