General Fuel Cost Rant

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: General Fuel Cost Rant

General Fuel Cost Rant

We had a small sniff of summer here in the North but only a glimpse,snowed all day today its winter again,but since there is a chance of good weather our policy makers and big oil have decided that after a super cold winter that caused us all to use way more oil and propane and hydro figure we got so much cash leftover that its now time to further gouge at the pump,its a week before the holiday weekend and boom a 10 cent a liter hit have a nice day,to our American neighbors that would be a 37 cent increase which would bring the price corrected to the U.S gallon to 5.18 a gallon or to us in Canadian gallon 6.22 given our gallon is a tad larger.Yes my friends 150 bucks to fill my Silverado and stop at the local in and out and pickup 24 Pops for another 40 bucks and nobody can understand why the American sportsman and tourist doesn't want to come to see us anymore.NCT

Diesel's getting on for £6.50 a gallon over here, petrol slightly less. You ain't doing so bad after all

Costs me roughly 10.5 us dollars every 24 miles in the Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Diesel's getting on for £6.50 a gallon over here, petrol slightly less. You ain't doing so bad after all

Costs me roughly 10.5 us dollars every 24 miles in the Discovery.
    Understood rodp,but the vastness of Ontario with 344 some odd thousand square miles in Ontario alone in comparison to the UK and I got a 100 miles round to the nearest city center it hurts given the fact that we have oil reserves that are being exported,Iam well aware of the fact that the cost of living in the UK is high by just about any western standard,we are just now getting the major car company's to vastly improve there fuel mileage numbers,and during my earlier driving career it was suicide to drive a car that was small enough to fit in the average north american cars boot,I know its a old whine but it cuts down on being able to do the things that make life a joy.NCT

High fuel prices certainly keep many recreational activities down. However, I have traveled many miles across the US in the past few weeks and by the look of the traffic, fuel is far too cheap. Every highway is covered in cars, every stop light has a long line of cars waiting, and traveling across a city involves traffic jam after traffic jam. I don't think travel would even be possible if gas was $1 / gallon as it would make the highway into a parking lot. People burn it like it's free already.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

We all complain about the price of gas around here as well. The price at the pumps now is $1.389/litre. I am sure it will jump before the long weekend as well. However I would have to agree with Brandon. If you see all the big fancy trucks on the road driving at the speeds that they do then you would think gas is free. I have been diving on the hwy at speed limits (100km/h) and have been passed by many vehicles like I am stopped. The distance from where I live to St john`s is approx 100kms. By reducing my speed from 110km/h to approx 95km/h I can save about $4.00 per round trip. Even more in my big fancy truck...lol This reduction in speed will mean it will take about an extra 10 minutes to get where I am going.
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Well NTC as your neighbor here in Michigan I've spent my share of time in the Ontario bush all of which I have enjoyed immensely. Its not the fuel prices that keep me away... It's not even the GST. I think its more of an attitude that for the most part folks up/over there just don't want us to be there. Not the outfitter but the general public. I have spent many an evening in a Toronto bar defending being from the states. I'll agree that Canada is an amazing place. I spend many hours looking across the river and think. "Man is that beautiful over there". I'm pretty sure your view is no where near as nice looking this way. Bottom line is Ontario just don't want us. Or that's at least the way they make us feel about it.

Granted we got our share of DB's that come over and get all stupid but what can I say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRules View Post
    High fuel prices certainly keep many recreational activities down. However, I have traveled many miles across the US in the past few weeks and by the look of the traffic, fuel is far too cheap. Every highway is covered in cars, every stop light has a long line of cars waiting, and traveling across a city involves traffic jam after traffic jam. I don't think travel would even be possible if gas was $1 / gallon as it would make the highway into a parking lot. People burn it like it's free already.
    You've got to remember we have a large country here and the only way to get around is by motor vehicle. Except in the large cities there is no public transit. You're sure screwed if you live in the South. I sometimes work a 1000 miles away from home. Wish I could ride a train or something but it's just not practical.

thats always the way things like this happens, you can build a car that gets great gas mileage and then the gov't comes along and says were not getting enough gas tax to maintain the roads across the nation so were going to raise the tax and price of fuel.
    like today i heard that the gov't says the money to build roads is almost gone, "BROKE" then this last year where i live the water rates went up because after all these years of conserving water they now don't have enough money to pay for maint. and
    their benefits, so hows that for a rant...IT JUST NEVER ENDS, thats why all you guys who own gas mizer's just keep saving the fuel for me SO I CAN BURN IT ON THE WEEKENDS

I live in michigan, they waste more money on road "repair" then pry any other state in the nation. Every summer its endless orange barrels, just so the next spring 115000 lb gross weight semis can tear them up again
    "You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything"

"Theres the right way to do things, the wrong way to things, and the way everyone else does it"

Max II, 22 Inch Rawhides, Winch, 16hp Briggs Vanguard...My First AATV...

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Understood rodp,but the vastness of Ontario with 344 some odd thousand square miles in Ontario alone in comparison to the UK and I got a 100 miles round to the nearest city center it hurts given the fact that we have oil reserves that are being exported,Iam well aware of the fact that the cost of living in the UK is high by just about any western standard,we are just now getting the major car company's to vastly improve there fuel mileage numbers,and during my earlier driving career it was suicide to drive a car that was small enough to fit in the average north american cars boot,I know its a old whine but it cuts down on being able to do the things that make life a joy.NCT
    True NCT, you are slightly larger than our 88,700 sq miles, therefore have so much further to travel. Forgot about that.

I sometimes work a 1000 miles away from home. Wish I could ride a train or something but it's just not practical.
    To work a 1000 miles from home over here you'd have to get wet.

+ Reply to Thread