Piston Heads Needed

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Piston Heads Needed

Piston Heads Needed

Has come time to repower the old Vette,the original 454 is getting long in the tooth and its time for a upgrade,wanting to stick with a fat block and tryin to get some ideas want to burn regular gas for the most part not street racing jus cruising but want a little punch,hear babble about gotta have Merlin heads not lookin to beat the world jus have a little fun what da you figure on compression ratio and what I need and don't need.NCT

Gotta know what year and factory HP. Tells me if you have rectangular or oval port heads. The Merlin heads will have a 2.25 intake valve which is pretty shrouded on a std to .060 overbore.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    Gotta know what year and factory HP. Tells me if you have rectangular or oval port heads. The Merlin heads will have a 2.25 intake valve which is pretty shrouded on a std to .060 overbore.

Keith.
    Kieth shes a 1973 and completely stock 116 thousand miles original not positive about HP they where smogged out in that year and pretty tame the smog is pulled and the emission pump yanked and manifolds plugged other than that stocker that,s got lazy,Iam looking at a total engine replacement something carb to pan already built to drop in and keep the original on the stand in the corner.NCT.NCT

It will have 781 or 049 casting (last three digits) for the heads. Not to deter you from another engine but there are reasonably priced 496 stroker kits you could use to build a great engine for the street with your current engine. Put 2.19/1.88 SS valves in the heads with hardened exhaust seats and bronze guides for use with unleaded fuels and have the bowls blended for the bigger valves. Bore the stock block, balance the engine a nice little hyd. roller retrofit cam with roller tip rockers to fit under the original valve covers and you would be good.

Different intake, carb and headers would really wake it up but different intakes on a 73 can be problematic without a different hood.

Keith.

A buddy of mine here in Ontario might have just what you need, He is always wheeling and dealing in Chevy parts and has connections for parts, he is a big block fan through and through. He races at Grand bend motorplex too, Pm me if you want his ph #

Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    It will have 781 or 049 casting (last three digits) for the heads. Not to deter you from another engine but there are reasonably priced 496 stroker kits you could use to build a great engine for the street with your current engine. Put 2.19/1.88 SS valves in the heads with hardened exhaust seats and bronze guides for use with unleaded fuels and have the bowls blended for the bigger valves. Bore the stock block, balance the engine a nice little hyd. roller retrofit cam with roller tip rockers to fit under the original valve covers and you would be good.

Different intake, carb and headers would really wake it up but different intakes on a 73 can be problematic without a different hood.

Keith.
    Where would I find the casting numbers on the heads,already understand that the original hood will be a wall hanger in the shop so intake and carb will be replaced,the biggy is this is Canada and up here the cost effective rebuild methods are rare finding a built one is more cost effective America is much more muscle car friendly the machine shops here are out to lunch on rebuilds crate engines are a better buy,so Iam looking at engines that where built for projects that never came to be,there are some on the Kijiji sittin with in buying distance,dont mind spending money but this is not a classic and highly desirable car so dont want to spend the kids inheritance on it,budget calls for a 3to 4ish G marker.NCT

73 rubber nose chrome bumperettes in the rear, big block is a good start for a C3. 4spd convert would be a bonus. Cylinder head casting numbers are under the valve covers. I will run some numbers tomorrow at work if I get a chance.

Keith.

Thanks Keith, i will be out of town till the weekend and will lift the covers and check numbers when I get back.NCT

Nice to know someone else has plastic toys with only 4 tires. Started a frame up restoration on my 65 fuel car in 03. It will be in the paint shop real soon. Dam this has been a lot of work. Always liked to drive the big block cars but hate working on them, especially if it has AC. Good luck finding a good motor and keep the old one. Maybe someday it will go back original.

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Where would I find the casting numbers on the heads,already understand that the original hood will be a wall hanger in the shop so intake and carb will be replaced,
    I put a rpm air gap on my 76 and it says right in edelbrocks specs "will not clear hood on 70's corvettes" I bought a moroso drop dish air cleaner it lowers the air filter almost 2", and it fits with an inch to spare, now mine is a Sb but I considered a low profile cold air type air cleaner.

Spectre Quikit Low Profile Plenum Kits - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

+ Reply to Thread