Sleep in truck or Go for it?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep in truck or Go for it?

Sleep in truck or Go for it?

So here I sit at the trail head, been up since 5:00 this morning, its 9:00 now. Could be at the cabin by 11:00 if all goes well. Holy cow though, there is a lot of lightning and a crap load of rain coming down over the lake. Wind is getting a little crazy too.
    Not a huge load in the Argo, but still easily a thousand pounds........ and my winch does not work.
    Pic does not do it justice
    [IMG][/IMG]

What do u think?

RD

Graveyards are full of hero's, best wait to fight another day .

Better to wait.

What did you decide?
    Beautiful country pic there

Yesterday, hear in northern Ny. A man was struck by lightning at his camp site. He did live I should add. I think I would wait!

be on the safe side wait

No hero's here :-) I waited it out. I was tired anyway. My initial post was a bit unclear, it was 9:00 at night when I posted that, so that would have put me at the cabin by 11:00 pm. Turns out I made the right choice, it rained like crazy, some really good sized hailstones too. Lightning was unbelievable. If I had gone, it would have unleashed on me about half was in.
    I was off on my guess too, it took me a little over 3 hours to get here. Sunk the Argo once, that was........ Interesting. I drove into one of those bottomless pits. Could not go forward or backwards, load was heavy enough to push the back of the machine under the surface. Muskeg, muck slowly oozing into the tub. I couldn't see it happening, but I knew it was happening. I risked trying the usual "Booty Shake", "leaning, jumping, cursing" for a few minutes..... Nothing, literally,.... Nothing. So the Mad Scramble begins (in running shoes, again). The only thing within winch line distance is 3 little willow stems in a clump, none of them larger than about 5/8". With no Sky Hook available, I went with the Willows, hooked them up and scrambled back to the Argo. I stepped from the bank onto the hood and the whole machine kinda bobbed like a cork. So, anyway, I reeled in line, slowly and carefully pulled. You know those times where you wish you had a 3rd arm/hand growing out of your chest? This was one if those.... Left hand on winch, right hand on throttle..... left knee and/or chin operating left brake.....
    It worked, it actually worked, lol.
    So then I had to unload the whole machine and drain it out. Didn't take on as much as I thought it would, maybe 30 gals. Loaded everything back up and headed in again. The creek was as high as I've ever crossed it, but not deep enough to get in the machine........ Hard to say for sure though, it's a little dirty.
    So, I made that crossing without mishap, and it turns out that a lot if river water will help wash the muskeg soup out if the machine. I once again reloaded the machine and carried on my way.
    Nothing much of interest happened the rest of the trip, but that was enough anyway.

I think I'll go for a nap now.

RD

thought your winch was broke?

On a side note........ I want your job........ End of my post haha

Quote Originally Posted by locolouie View Post
    thought your winch was broke?
    Yes, I think it's the brushes. I have to keep smacking the winch housing to get it to go. Once I get it to start turning, it's a crapshoot whether it will go again or not. Buddy said he has a spare that he would give me, just have to pick it up one of these days.

RD

+ Reply to Thread