Willys Jeep Project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Willys Jeep Project

Since its going all apart, how about one of those Ford Commercial motors from the Mudd Ox line, NP 205 T/C, IRS front and rear, New venture 5 speed, ARB lockers, 4 wheel steer, exo-cage, etc.

Thanks everyone! It seems like everyone has a Willys Jeep story, just like VW Beetles. I'm not going crazy with modifications because that's alot of money and work and money

Alot has happened since my post. I'll list them out:
    1. HD shackles for off-road use, the originals were designed pretty sketchy. We hammered some bushings into the frame where the old threads would have went. Then dad and I cut some pieces of steel to make a modern-style shackle with bolts going through plates on both sides. This way the leafs can't slide out when I'm flexing.

2. Installed new rear leafs (no gangsta more lean!) and all new shocks. It took a porta power and dual mallets to get the leafs on; I'll add that to the list of things I never want to do again in my life. It rides like a caddy now! My teeth don't shatter anymore, even sitting on the gas tank!

3. Stripped the body down to get new sheet metal wrap. I finally got to hacksaw that crusty roll bar off, remove old fenders, hood, tailgate, and chop off all chunks of metal sticking out.
    4. The state of Indiana declared this road legal!

5. Took the Jeep to the sheet metal guy, filled in the pitted rust on my hood while I waited.

6. Jeep came back in a week in a half. He used aluminum to wrap the outer edges of my body. It was beyond repair for patch panels and not enough bondo in the world, nothing would have made it look this great. He covered the rear section for the military style. I'm extremely happy with how nice this turned out, better than anything I ever expected was possible. This looks so beautiful now, it went from a 75 footer to a 5. My goal is to have the main tub primed up by the end of the weekend; I just need to finish some fabrication and sanding. Painting it green is the itch I haven't been able to scratch for a year

Coming along nicely Nick

Nice work, Nick. I've always loved the old Willys: One of the best no-nonsense, let's-just-get-there-no-matter-what vehicles.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Nice work, Nick. I've always loved the old Willys: One of the best no-nonsense, let's-just-get-there-no-matter-what vehicles.
    That's right! I can't believe how steep of a hill this thing can climb. Once at Bundy Hill all I could see was the sky, it was terrifying.

I've been working til 2 am more than I'd wish to get this thing on the road. With the new metal over the body, I had to get the rest of the tub up to par. I wanted to make everything look the best possible, even if that meant spending quite a bit of time on the little spots like between the gauges. Once again, it was all worth it!

I used a rust remover disk to get rid of all the nastiness.

Used this awesome grease gun trick to protect the gauges!

With the new metal siding, there were tabs on the top that held it on. I used bondo to fill in between the tabs and make the body look like one full piece.

Priiiiimmmmeerrr!!!!

Looking good Nick!

Glad to see Your sticking with it, Crazy amount of work yes!

Keep up the good work

I've done a ton of work over the past month. Since the Jeep was already torn apart, I can't drive it for a while, and the engine smoked like an Attex, it was time for a rebuild. So I pulled it out and gave the honor to Keith to rebuild. With that out of the way I spent some time cleaning up the engine bay and brought it to the level of the rest of the Jeep.

Then I bought some gems to flip for parts money

I'm frustrated just typing this. The first time I painted the body, the paint gun got clogged up and spit/sputtered. The next time, I wasn't putting on enough paint or fast enough. The third time, I mastered it.

The goal this week is to make her a roller again. Install the front disk brakes, clean the rear drums, then replace the bearings in the tcase intermediate shaft & replace the rear pinion seal. I should have the majority of the rest of my parts in primer. It's the beginning of the end!

Looks like it's coming along nice. Good thing you had fun with it at haspin, bet you won't wanna pound it through the mud after all this work? Been frustrated a time or two with painting myself. Unless you do it a lot it's kinda tricky. When the kid first got her drivers license I got a lot more practice though. Lol
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

+ Reply to Thread