Tough Christmas this year

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tough Christmas this year

Tough Christmas this year

Hey folks, Its gonna be a tough Christmas for us this year. Amongst 2 vehicles that decided to break down, and of course one had to be a transmission in my truck, my pension is just not cutting it. My wife works but we aren't making ends meet. I am in the process of looking for a job, but being 56 years old I am now experiencing discrimination. Oh well, we are going to make it as nice as we can for our grandkids and for our youngest still at home. I'm going to possibly sell my six wheeler but the wife is not letting me yet. She told me, "Don't you dare, you love that thing". I won't tell her when I post it, but it's getting to that point. Sad times until I find a new job. Tough market now for us older folks. I'm applied at Wally World but, got turned down as I am overqualified. Same at Fleet Farm and Menards. I'm finding the younger generation is getting the jobs over me. I also found out after applying at the jail in town, that I didn't get the job. I found out later that a 19 year old girl got the job over me. I have 13 years of experience in a Prison and that 19 year old has never even had a job before that one. Hmmm, ya think she knew somebody on staff. Oh Well, Getting pretty sad, when I guy that worked all his life can't get a job at one of those places. Getting pretty frustrated. To help with my frustrations, my daughter and I went and put up christmas lights for the grandkids to see. They are coming tonight and I can't wait to see there eyes light up.
    If I sell the wheeler I won't be on here much anymore and I've got to say there is alot of nice people on this site. But I hope I can get a job before I have to sell my baby. Well got to go and just want to wish most everybody a Merry Christmas.
    "I'm NOT stuck, I'm just temporarily stopped"

wheeler, keep your chin up and stay at it !! sometimes when we think we know what we need, something better comes along. stay positive as possible. and stay on the site so we can all keep visualizing good things coming your way ! don't give up on a job and keep the machine so we can get you my tracks and some wheels. it's not always easy but remember, ''optimism helps us persevere and worrying is betting against ourselves ''. johnboy va.

Well said John, it's been a tough couple of months. I've been trying to keep my head up and I don't normally talk about stuff like this but it helps venting a little. Thanks for responding and I really hope to end up with those tracks and tires sometime soon.

I was sort of there back in 2011, the housing crash finally got me. Second to the last to get laid off and really didn't know what I was going to do. I decided to go back to school for a certificate program that lasted a year. I was out of school for maybe 6 months applying for jobs and finally landed one close to home. Don't give up and consider school it was cheap and a gamble but did pay off. The community colleges offer a vaiety of certificate programs that are fairly short and cheap.I was 45 at the time I got laid off and returned to school. The age thing didn't bother me but school had changed since I graduated from college and is now all on the computer. I was ready to give up after 3 days, not computer friendly but asked some classmates and the professors and it all turned out fine. Still not computer friendly but better. School is much different at an older age than I remembered it to be and the teachers treat you different also, it's more eye to eye with them. Anyway don't give up something will turn for you but you have to keep fighting.

Trevorakm1
    Thanks, been thinking about going back to school. Possibly locksmithing. Thanks for the support. I'm sure I will find something pretty soon. It's gonna be a tough one if I have to sell the wheeler. I already got my bar for sale, my drum set, my boat and boat lift for sale. I'm sure those will sell and I will have some cash soon. Thanks again.

Just a thought. We have assisted living places around us and they are always looking for drivers to take patients back a forth. It is easy work and they look for "more experienced" drivers. I have a couple of friends here that do it.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

From being in tough spot before 50 ft fall lost both ankles lass then 50 years old at the time refussed dis due to my age took long time to get but friends and family helped and understood more than we think and now family and friends and old clients wont let me retire !!! Remember the younger kids today may be book smart but they still need the older generation you can't use a computer to turn a wrench or fix a leaky faucet allways look up to the brighter side

Hey Thanks guys, thanks for the support. We appreciate it. It seems the older generation is not that much appreciated in the job market. Sort of a shame, but such is life. I'm keeping my head up and doing the job looking thing. Something will happen soon, I'm sure it may not be what I like, but it will be cash flow to help.

Now to put the cream on top. I bought a car with my last 500.00. Drove it for 7 days. Was bringing my daughter home from work the other night and the engine blew. I'm too tired for this.

believe it or not wheeler, sometimes all the tough stuff comes at once and just when it seems like there is no hope the sun breaks thru and things start turning around. i know it's not easy. i can't think of one person including myself that has'nt had those periods in life. just keep plugging away... everyone is pulling for you !!! i think before you know it you will be on this site saying you got a great job you like and things are on the upswing !!!! your tougher than your trials. j.b

+ Reply to Thread