good day wrenching

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: good day wrenching

good day wrenching

Hey all. Hope everyone is having a great summer. Well, today was a sorta tough day. 3 years ago, mu mom passed. She was an amazingly funny and loving woman. She kept our family together. If you still have yours, call her, hug her, tell her how much you love her.

Now, as to the title of my post. It was a great day wrenching. Dad wanted me to hang with him today. So, we rolled an old motorcycle out and began working on it. The old 1971 Yamaha XS1B has a storied past. It was bought and raced HARD in the 70s. After the third owner tried to rework it, my dad picked it up for my uncle in milk crates! Well, they chopped it, built the engine, and she rolled for several years. In 1993, my uncle gave the old gal to my dad, who parked it in the garage. Around 1996, I talked him into helping me get it to run again. In a day's time, she was. Then life hit, and she sat until 2005, she we pulled her back out and did a complete repaint, carb rebuild, and new tires. I rode her for that summer and had a great time. Well, the wife wanted another child, and I jokingly said "If i can have a new bike). Well, we came home from the hospital in late May, and I had two weeks later I had a brand new bike! The old XS1B went back into hibernation. Fast forward to today, We rolled the old lady out, cleaned the carbs, warmed over the battery, and i began kicking. Yeah, last year of kick start only big bike for Yamaha. Well, she roared back to life, i jumped on her, and we rode down the road together. Here's the bittersweet part of this. We did all this to possible sell her. She's great, but dad wants it out of the garage, and I want some money to put towards another 6x6 I'm looking at.

So, to sum this up... Love you Mamas and you old machines!
    Immature. A word used by boring people to describe fun people.

I'm sorry that you had to endure a tough day but it was great that you could share that with your dad. I'm sure he appreciated it just as much as you did. Thanks for sharing.

Ok. I'm about to bust open! I've been calling on a talk radio site asking for a project 6x6. I got a TT, but it needs LOTS of work. Well, today I called in and a gentleman called me and said he had just was I needed. He said somebody before him converted it to hydraulic motors, but he had begun returning it to original. I went with him out to his farm and gave it a look. As we pulled up, I began to get excited. There, beneath a tarp, was a Max IV. We strolled thru the cow manure and weeds, and there it sat on a trailer. The AATV of my dreams. (Well, once it is fully re-assembled) This baby has all new chains, a BRAND NEW 18 B&S engine, the T20 was at his house, and the seats and other parts in the barn. Oh, and a factory roll cage and a winch. We talked quite a bit, and he shared that he was tired of working on it. ( He's in his 80s) So, long story short, I hope to be bringing a Max IV home some time this week!!! Fingers crossed guys!

Awesome, sorry about your Mom but it's good you and your Dad spend time together, I'm sure it means a lot to him. As for the Max very cool and would like to see pics.

The wife and I plan on heading out this morning and picking up the Max. Since the gentleman has an extra lower with the frame, axles, and wheels, I'll be making a couple trips. Thanks for the condolences. Mama Sue was a great mom, lady, and teacher. She'd be riding with me in the Max, if she was still around.

Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss. I love bikes and am going to research what your Yamaha looks like.
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

Yamaha gold?
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

The Yamaha was originally gold. It was made into a chopper in the late 70s. Now... Ladies and gentleman... After searching & lurking for 3 years..

My new toy - Amphibious ATV Pictures

Now I get to begin sourcing the parts to fix the old gal. We are thrilled!!!

+ Reply to Thread