6x6 Ride at the 2014 Texas Mud Nationals!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 6x6 Ride at the 2014 Texas Mud Nationals!

Looks like a great place and a good time.
    Banned

Thanks Dan for setting up the vids right.
    The HDI does have a big advantage with the high center issue,much easier to slide over obstacles. It does help to have the extra weight and the ability to "rock the boat."

As far as the tranny goes, we never used "low" gear exept to pull people out. The low gear will give you the ability to stop one side, and actually runs the one side in reverse,creating an extremly aggressive gearing. Lots of times we were already stuck,where some of this couldn't come into play.
    Also, technique had a lot to do with some of the situations where our units were getting stuck.The ruts were so deep,that if you followed them in the hole,it was almost inevitable that you would have an issue getting out, as you were high centered.Running a track on either side of the rut,and letting the other side run the rut would help from getting high centered. This also can create a different situation,but I believe it is easier to get out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRules View Post
    Here is a video of the sand pit on Friday afternoon. It was already getting crowded and people were showing off.

That Panasonic video camera you have shoots some REALLY GOOD video Brandon. I love watching your Mud Nationals video's in 1080p and full screen because your video's are so clear. What model Panasonic video camera did you use to shoot these video's?
    Last edited by mudbug3; 04-05-2014 at 03:40 PM.

This is a helicopter view of the 2014, atv mud national event. This let's you see how big this event was.

I wish I had an area that! big close to home. Very cool view for a change gives insight and perspective.

You've got off road sites bigger than our country ???

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    You've got off road sites bigger than our country ???

River Run atv park is really close to this off road atv park, and it's even bigger.

Thanks Mudbug, that's really cheered me up

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    That Panasonic video camera you have shoots some REALLY GOOD video Brandon. I love watching your Mud Nationals video's in 1080p and full screen because your video's are so clear. What model Panasonic video camera did you use to shoot these video's?
    Its a Panasonic HC-V201. Next time the videos will actually be better because I'll have the optical image stabilizer on. That feature smooths out the video and it's the main reason I bought that camcorder. It somehow got turned off and I didn't know it until the ride was over and I was home. Oh well better next time.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    Noel, thanks for the comments. I also love the sound of the water cooled engine in the HDI,but I have noticed that under certain trail and swamp conditions it is very advantageous to have the low 3.3 transmission to be able to completely lock down one side to get over a root or tree stump under the water, under these conditions some times the admiral transmission will push you where you really don't want to go. I have also noted that in the water being able to lock down one side will give you an advantage when you are trying to get a better line in a mud lane with high centers, trees and roots. I understand that you can use the low range in the Admiral to counter rotate under these conditions but I still like the lock down ability of the old transmission, I wish Mike or Bud or anyone else who has been around both types of 8x8s in extreme conditions would comment on this.
    I cut my amphib teeth on a MaxII that I bought new from Brandon in 2003, and when I upgraded to my 2011 Frontier 8x8 from Tim @ Adair Argo I got some sound advice from him before he built it.

My primary goal was to be able to access the most remote swamps and marshes for waterfowl hunting, with little worry about getting stuck in the mud. I also wanted it to swim well, including areas with sunken logs and stumps. Tim recommended the 8x8 Frontier with the 3.3 low geared transmission and his Adair tracks. It is lighter than the HDI, swims great, and as mentioned the transmission allows me to easily cut power to one side to facilitate easier navigation over sunken obstacles under the water that the tracks will try to climb. I love the longer wheelbase for general offroading, fording ditches and climbing logs. The extra cargo capacity for decoys, people and gear is just a bonus. I got the 4k winch just to look like a badass. I have yet to need the winch for any self recovery.

+ Reply to Thread