27hp kohler question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 27hp kohler question

Quote Originally Posted by fmints View Post
    Hey Norm I got you when I get there tonight. the Kohler starter takes two wires ( one red battery, and one green remote/ignition from key wire) then there is one black wire to kill the coils, and another white wire to recharge the battery that comes from the Stator. I can show you it tonight, so dont worry,,, you'll be running in minutes!! looking good though,,, we should have some time to take it for a spin in your creek/river behind your house tonight maybe!!
    Well was he impressed?
    with the new engine, older style clutches it should be far superior to what he had.

Hmm, no comment ? Perhaps they killed it and there's now real tears

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Well was he impressed?
    with the new engine, older style clutches it should be far superior to what he had.
    I didnt make it,, he had to work!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Shoot! was looking for real-world comparison.

Okay the red wire goes to fuel selonoid purple goes to plug in second pic wht goes into the blk box on left side of first pic. Does this make sense? How would you hook it up? I'm really having a brain fart on this one.....
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Normable1973 View Post
    Okay the red wire goes to fuel selonoid purple goes to plug in second pic wht goes into the blk box on left side of first pic. Does this make sense? How would you hook it up? I'm really having a brain fart on this one.....

the only important wires are the fuel solenoid, the stator, coils, starter, starter solenoid, and ground. the sensor on top of the block by the carb is not important ( I have never plugged my up at all and my 23 works great ). And you can actually remove the fuel solenoid completely and put a bolt in the carb to replace it,,,, or ground off a little bit of the fuel solenoid "Needle" (or remove the needle all together) and never wire up the fuel solenoid. I made my own harness for the kohler so my engine was a plug and play/quick disconnect ready. I got a 3-5 wire make-a-harness from Radio shack, both male and female connections for a couple of bucks.

***********ALSO************

DO NOT, PUT ANY POWER (+) TO THE COILS,,,, YOU WILL DESTROY THEM, SO BE VERY CAREFUL… EXPERIENCE IS A GREAT TEACHER, AND I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON!!! LOL!!!!
    Last edited by fmints; 06-17-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added important note
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

DO NOT, PUT ANY POWER (+) TO THE COILS,,,, YOU WILL DESTROY THEM, SO BE VERY CAREFUL… EXPERIENCE IS A GREAT TEACHER, AND I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON!!! LOL!!!![/QUOTE]
    Fred you are right about that last sentence, when you been around as long as some of us, you think you would learn your lesson, me, myself, and I have not. looks like you guys where having a blast in the swamp, Norm ,not to worry you got it licked now, hope to see you all again at busco

Norm from what i see there, my best guess from what I see is red is fuel solenoid (keyed on/off), purple is to regulator plug(black box that's actually aluminum under ) you can see the purple wire in the plug in the pic/ hot at all times, and white to keyed ground for ignition cut off.

Check the original plug feeding engine, probably just the always hot and keyed ground, just add a keyed on/off to feed the solenoid and you should be riding.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Norm from what i see there, my best guess from what I see is red is fuel solenoid (keyed on/off), purple is to regulator plug(black box that's actually aluminum under ) you can see the purple wire in the plug in the pic/ hot at all times, and white to keyed ground for ignition cut off.

Check the original plug feeding engine, probably just the always hot and keyed ground, just add a keyed on/off to feed the solenoid and you should be riding.
    That sounds correct and seems to go along with the info I have gathered.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

OKAY, I had my electrician buddy come to the shop. He fixed all my wiring so everything works right now(he eliminated the kill switch so it shuts off with the key now). Engine cranked right up and sounds great, once I adjusted everything I tested the trans slowly. Everything works perfectly BUT I tried to open it up it wouldn't speed up or rev up, mabe 10 mph max. I'm guessing my belt is too tight? I made a 5/8" spacer plate for the engine so when it gets a bit cooler tonight I'll take it out and see what happens... At least everything seemed to work great.. Norm

+ Reply to Thread