Ballast resister for starting??????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ballast resister for starting??????

Ballast resister for starting??????

Hello when I go to start my 2007ish Argo Frontier with a Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 23hp it cranks over fine, but will not start until you let go of the key,even after its warmed up it seems. Do these have some kind of ballast doohicky that older cars had in them. They somehow keep 12volts going to the 'coils' while the starter in engaged.I've searched this for hours and can only find links to this symptom in old car forums..
    Thanks for any help at all.

Ignition switch?? Everyones help is really awesome btw ..thank you no one!!

Chill. this forum is not as active as it once was (from what I can see and sometimes it takes ALOT longer to get responces

Sadly everybody or the majority are in facebook now. Check out some of taryls videos on YouTube he has a few with vanguard problems.
    DanW

Definitely check the switch out. If it cranks as you say, starts and runs When the key is returns to the run position then you are possibly loosing voltage on the run circuit When the key is turned to start. Thats where I would start.

Quick check is to put power to the wire going from the key switch to the starter solenoid. Unhook it from the switch, turn on your key,then put power to the wire going to the starter solenoid if it fires up,then replace the switch. This can happen to cars,trucks,bikes,quads. Have had customers change out numerous items for same thing happening. All because of a bad switch. Another thing that you can do is to get a weather proof push switch, remove the wire from the key switch to the starter solenoid,connect that wire to the switch then run a wire from your battery to the other side of the push switch. Key on, push the button. Just make sure you get a switch only works if you hold it in.

New switch is ordered..but I wonder is it made not to start till you stop cranking as some kind or way to protect the starter once the motor fires. Likely not though.. I'm sure it used to start while it was cranking...its strange but loveable I guess..

Thanks! I just did what you said yesterday, but!..I didn't disconnect the signal wire from the switch to the solenoid..I was able to touch the signal post on the solenoid without removing the clip from the ignition switch to the solenoid. It still only started after I stopped touching the signal post with the 12v lead.
    This makes alot of sense to remove the switch wire at the solenoid as there likely is a short or crack in the switch. I'll try that next time im where I have my argo . thanks again bf6x6 !
    Last edited by jhayden; 07-31-2021 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Forgot crucial info

I would replace the switch from the sounds of your symptoms, the 23 B&S has no power to run circuit but does have a ground to magneto circuit. Could be the switch is failing and somehow grounding the magneto while cranking.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Disconnected signal wire..put key on the run position. Triggered solenoid with a 12 volt charger..still wouldn't start till new signal wire was taken off solenoid. I did notice in the engine bay close to the ignition switch there is a white wire not plugged in and a cut looking brown wire. I think the original owner may have unhooked the low oil pressure sensor and light. I think he said it would stall the argo going up or down steep hills if the oil was on the low side. . Gonna try to see where that white wire hooks to today cause some wiring diagrams show a white wire on back of ig switch.

+ Reply to Thread