Faulty Chain Adjuster, chain popping

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Faulty Chain Adjuster, chain popping

Faulty Chain Adjuster, chain popping

I spent a numerous amount of time trying to figure out why my Hustler's chains was popping while turning. I recently, about two months ago, replaced the rightside chain tensioner coming off of the T-20, but the alignment was a few degrees off when i welded it to the chassis. Needless to say, after the chain popped a few, it was just a short matter of time when the chain would ride completely off of the idler sprocket. I was forced to saw and grind out the faultly chain adjuster. I'm thing of installing the chain adjusters that is found on the Max IV's center axle. This style is very simple, yet stout and greatly needed for the Hustler chassis. I've been thinking of pulling the chassis out all together and reinforce every 6-7 inches with 3/16 flat steel or 1 1/8 pipe. This will surely kill the flex I feel, however small it may be.

Now that I think of it, I feel like I've been working backwards. My engine and transmission is fully rebuilt with less than 6 hours on it, not to mention all of the add ons and here I am with chassis issues that is forcing me to break the machine back down to zero. At least now, I know that I have, and what improvements is needed to satisfy my expectations of how I vision my Hustler.

The bad thing is that I promised myself that the next time that I pull the chassis out that I would outfit the machine with at least 4 splined axles and sprockets. The good thing is that, I 'm getting deployed soon, so Uncle Sam will pay for the Apache Gear hardware . I guess I will see how everything goes. Its cool to have projects to do in the garage, but not when it leaves you with no ride for a while.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Sorry to hear that, Fred- that's a nice machine and leaving it home must be depressing. Micmac came up with a system that works well on Hustlers and I used it on my BFD. It seems to work pretty well and not let the idler back off. If you like the system, you may be able to weld some up without pulling the frame!

Have fun at Busco- wish we could make this one!

Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Fred- that's a nice machine and leaving it home must be depressing. Micmac came up with a system that works well on Hustlers and I used it on my BFD. It seems to work pretty well and not let the idler back off. If you like the system, you may be able to weld some up without pulling the frame!

Have fun at Busco- wish we could make this one!

Yeah, I got my tail tucked between my legs, with my ears pointing down,,,,,, I one sick lucking puppy right about now! It really hurts that I cant sport my baby, and really test out the new tires, red spring, and new 23hp engine. All that hard work and money only to be stopped but a measely chain adjuster. Anyhow, I know you guys feel my pain.

Thanks for the pic, its a great idea. One question thou,,,,, the threaded rod is not welded to anything at all is it? Looks like it's just pushing down the tensioner and keeps it from back up. Does the threaded rod rest inside of anything?,,,,, I cant tell by the pic!

Thanks again Don!!
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Weld the channel back in and bring itnto busco. I will bring you one of the rollers that im running. It should let you play for the weekend... you Can
    Tear it all down next week!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    Weld the channel back in and bring itnto busco. I will bring you one of the rollers that im running. It should let you play for the weekend... you Can
    Tear it all down next week!
    The Channel is garbage,, it wont hold the square channel nut. I've already cut out the channel to make way for this type of adjuster Is this what you are running? if not, I still will like to see what your talking about. Everything about my Hustler has been a backyard, backwoods fix, just to keep me rolling,, since the adjuster has to be welded to frame, I want a for sure stout adjuster that will won't give me any issues for a long time, ya know!!

As for tearing it down next week, I would love to, but my time in the country is limited and the family comes first, ( this is my last time to play with the 6x6 for a few months, ya know.) Other than that, I would most definetely bring it.

Thanks Brian!!
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Go to my albums. Hustler 950 build album. About the 3 rd pic... you commented on it a few months ago. Works great in all positions on my bigfoot. Bring the machine and welder. I will bring you some new chanel and the roller/ plate assembly
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by fmints View Post
    the threaded rod is not welded to anything at all is it? Looks like it's just pushing down the tensioner and keeps it from back up. Does the threaded rod rest inside of anything?
    You're right, Fred. the rod screws into the nut welded on top of the channel cap and doesn't attach to anything else. There's a 3/8'' nut welded to the top of the Kendorf nut that I drilled the threads out of just to act as a guide for the threaded rod. The threads on the bottom of the rod are ground off to let it turn freely in the threadless nut. This has worked great so far: you don't have to tighten the idler nut so tight that it distorts the channel just to keep it from sliding up.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Fred look at my build thread. So far everything is working great. The two front adjusters where simple to make and could be done with the frame in. Are you sure your tranny isnt twisting in the mount?
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You're right, Fred. the rod screws into the nut welded on top of the channel cap and doesn't attach to anything else. There's a 3/8'' nut welded to the top of the Kendorf nut that I drilled the threads out of just to act as a guide for the threaded rod. The threads on the bottom of the rod are ground off to let it turn freely in the threadless nut. This has worked great so far: you don't have to tighten the idler nut so tight that it distorts the channel just to keep it from sliding up.
    Sweet!!!! This is exactly what i need. I will surely incorporated it into my Hustler. Thanks Don!!!
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

So, a silly question; Is there a chance we would be able to keep your chain tight enough (with a new chain, even with a [gasp!] half-link or something) to get you through the weekend? That is, ef the adjuster for a couple days and let's see if we can get by without hurting the machine. The biggest issue that comes to mind is how close the chains come to the bottom of the tub with the huge primary sprockets.

I'd just hate to have you leave the 'ol girl home.

+ Reply to Thread