Techumsi Tech

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Techumsi Tech

Techumsi Tech

Hi everyone ! A while back I acquired a 80 6x6 with a 16 hp Techumsi that was suppose to have been rebuilt by previous owner. The motor runs but it seems to vibrate badly like its out of balance. Is this normal for these motors? or is there something wrong with it. It's hard to start it fires right away but will not idle. I figured that is a carb issue. When you rev it the whole machine vibrates. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-17-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: moved thread from Argo forum to Engine forum

Did you check to make sure that all the motor mounts were in place and that the engine was bolted in secure? Jusk asking....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

I'm sure you're right about a carb issue. Take it off, soak it for a day or so in carb cleaner, put in a rebuild kit, make sure your gas is good and the tank, filter and fuel lines are clean. Make sure the govenor is set up correctly also. I have a OH160 also and it shakes alot so that"s normal..I guess. It took me awhile to get a decent idle and reliable operation out of mine. Search the topics here, they've helped me immensly. Good luck.

Clayton I did finally check the mounts and there tight.Dave the lines,filter are new and the tank was emptied . New gas but I think the carb could use a rebuild. Best spot to find a rebuild kit for the carb? {e-bay}.The governor is a different story I think its been removed. Anyone got pics of what it should have? Thanks for the replies

Some small engines have a counter balance shaft inside the engine, dont know about the Tech. engine without looking at a manual.
    They do have timing marks for proper operation if it has one and being "rebuilt by the previous owner"...who knows.

I just did a quick search on the OH160s, and it seems that some of them did come with balance gears and some did not. I couldn't find a reference to determine which serial numbers would have them versus not. If all of the mounts are tight and nothing is visually broken on the outside, it might be time for an internal inspection. Like Roy says, it's critically important to have the timing marks lined up when it's reassembled.

Some singles do tend to just vibrate a lot, balance gears or not. If it seems excessive, it might warrant looking closer.
    Last edited by hydromike; 11-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Would it run good if the timing was off? It seems to rev fine. It vibrates enough I think to make your legs go numb or put your hands to sleep on the steering levers. Question on the mounts I checked to make sure their tight but should there be rubber top and bottom of the mounting plate? As it is now there is a rubber mount under the motor, the mounting plate a bolt and lock washer up from the bottom. These counter weights would be on the clutch side of the crank?

are we looking at two diffrent issues here? one being not ideling and the other being vibration? the vibration could be a number of things not having anything to do with the engine. I'm trying to get clear in my mind whats going on.

You sure the vibration isnt caused by a misfire?
    "You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything"

"Theres the right way to do things, the wrong way to things, and the way everyone else does it"

Max II, 22 Inch Rawhides, Winch, 16hp Briggs Vanguard...My First AATV...

Quote Originally Posted by rocrunr View Post
    Would it run good if the timing was off? It seems to rev fine. It vibrates enough I think to make your legs go numb or put your hands to sleep on the steering levers. Question on the mounts I checked to make sure their tight but should there be rubber top and bottom of the mounting plate? As it is now there is a rubber mount under the motor, the mounting plate a bolt and lock washer up from the bottom. These counter weights would be on the clutch side of the crank?
    If your engine does indeed have the internal balancers and the timing on them was off, the engine would likely physically run ok, but it would probably shake the bajezus out of your machine. Looking at some pictures of the OH160s, those that have balance gears are indeed on the PTO/Clutch side of the crankshaft.

+ Reply to Thread