16 hp tecumseh turns hard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 16 hp tecumseh turns hard

16 hp tecumseh turns hard

max 11 16 hp tecumseh turns over 1 time thin nothing turn key again same thing batt test good going to put another batt in but the thing hasent ran for about 6 mounts kids are ready to ride again ! am I over looking something plain in my face

I would first make sure the engine spins freely. Pull a spark plug and see if the starter will spin the engine (it should spin fast with no compression). If the starter still doesn't spin the engine, spin it by hand to make sure it's free. If so - I would then start checking for a dirty connection, bad wire, bad solenoid or starter problem.

Pull the plugs and roll it over by hand a few times

Once you are sure it’s rolling over freely then hit the start button and see what it does...

I’ve seen many engines do this and most of the time it’s a bad connection or corrosion on a terminal or at the starter lug, if it can’t get enough amps from the battery then it stalls the starter as soon as the piston comes up on compression... wait a bit for the compression to leak down and it’ll do it all over again...

A weak starter will also do the same thing.

But pull the plugs first and see what happens... it’ll likely crank pretty good with them out.

thanks yes I have found more than one problem bad conection at srarter silinoid and the added kill switch and when I put a booster charger on it the crazy thing fired right up buying new battery !!!! clean all contacts up the thing was stored outside all winter the part that bugs me there are 3 toggle switches on dash forgot the one was added for kill switch when the key was changed to a keyed on / off switch this is a 1980 max 11 that was given to my son about 15 years ago and he thinks it will go forever thanks again now the kids and grand kids and grandma will be happy

+ Reply to Thread