Hustler 980 tall tub build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Hustler 980 tall tub build

If the outboard driven clutch sheave is not wobbling but the inboard side looks like it wobbles your clutch moveable sheave bushing is worn along with the ramp sliders. it takes allot to bend the trans input shaft. Noise is typical when the bushing is worn
    Acta non verba

Thanks Jersey. The outboard sheaves is wobbling and the mounting bolt is not running on center.

Try changing clutches from machine to machine.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

AJ I think I'm just going to swap transmissions. The 980 trans has one other thing I'm not satisfied with, and that is the diamond shifter fitment. Although they fit in the case tight enough for the oring to seal they are sloppy. This is causing some binding when shifting as the diamond wants to rock to the side rather than rotate. The other thing I don't like is the plungers are probably half inch outside the case, even with relined bands. They work fine, but I'm afraid someday it will pull out to the oring before the bands are worn out. I guess that's better than grinding a drum with worn out bands, though.

When I make the swap, I'm removing the red spring from the driven on the 950. The 980 needs absolutely no help with low end torque.

I too was never happy with the way the diamond shifter was designed to shift. I always wanted to make a new pivot pin that would extend up higher than the current one and fit it in a hole above in piece of metal welded to the existing horizontal bracket. That way it would be supported top and bottom and provide for a smooth shift.

Only once I have thought about doing that. I would probably weld a short piece of oversized rod to the diamond pivot and then take it to a machine shop and have it turned down to be true.

Update, and transmission question.

I pulled the trans and tore it down to investigate some things. I have a curious situation with my bands. My bands are newly relined with .040" of liner material, but the plungers run too far out of the case. My drum diameters are fine, at least according to an old post I found indicating the drum diameter should be 6.210. Mine are all within ten thousandths. What I have discovered is that my bands are one inch longer compared to another (worn out and rusty) set of bands. To take up that extra inch of band length, my lining would have to be about 0.110 instead of .040. Anybody ever run into something like this? Are there such things as extra thick lined bands?

I bought the Richards "stronger thicker" bands for my max and ended up having to buy longer bolts because the plungers were so far in the case. Sounds like they might be what you need.
    DanW

I may wind up having to buy a set of bands. But, I really want to know why my bands are 1 inch longer than a different band I'm comparing it to. Bands stretch, but all of mine are exactly 1 inch longer.

I hope I find out that once upon a time bands were made with much thicker lining. I may have mine relined, again, but thicker this time (if possible)

I wasn't even smart enough to compare mine but I still have my old bands I will compare to the relined bands Martin sent me. You may be into something maybe the relined just aren't as thick. I suppose maybe 1/16 or 1/32" could make an inch over the length a band
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread