6x6 World - Disassembly of the Attex 7000 series transmission

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
  • Disassemble the Attex 7000 Series Transmission

To dismantle the 7000 you have to first remove it from the machine. Best way is to leave the base in the machine and remove the transmission by removing the 8 bolts on top. That makes it easier to get out by reducing the weight. You should probably have a helper there to hand it to while you are inside the machine taking it out.

Once it is out and you have drained the oil, you have to remove the planetary (brake/drive rotors) on the drive side (side with the pulley). Not easy but the good news is that the planetary on the other side doesn’t have to be removed at all unless you are servicing it which might be a good idea.

To remove the planetaries it is the same on both sides but there is a retaining ring to start with so have your external snap-ring plier’s ready. After removing the retaining ring there is the bearing that is pressed on. A slide hammer with 3 jaw puller works great on that bearing. Then there is another retaining ring, then a brass washer and then the brake rotor side of the planetary will slide off. Be careful because the gears inside could fall off when you remove it.

Now is the difficult part. The inner bearing races are pressed on the shaft. I found an easy way to remove them though. If you have a press then skip this step because you probably already know what to do. But if you don’t have a press that’s no big deal. This way worked great for me. You need to let the transmission hang between two solid objects like a bench and table or whatever. You need 2 pipes (or such) running from each bench and have the backside of the planetary rest on the pipes. Hold them as tight to the shaft as possible. I used the threaded rod of a 3 jaw puller to hit the shaft down. Whatever you use be careful not to mushroom the shaft out. Just use something that wont ruin the shaft and don’t hit directly on it. Hitting the shaft down will take the races off. If it’s not moving heat them up with a propane torch. Just be careful not to get it too hot to burn any seals on the shaft. There will be 2 races, a spacer and a gear, along with the rotor coming off. Only bad thing about this way of doing it is the transmission will drop when you get the last race off so be prepared. Once that is off there is one more retaining ring to remove.

Ok hard part is done. Now remove all the bolts on the end plate cover on the side that should still have the planetary on it. Now hold the transmission so the pulley side is down. Set it down on a board or something soft and pick it up an inch or so and drop it. Doing that will let the transmission slide down off of the shaft. You will have to do it a couple times.

The internals are pretty much self explanatory. There are some more retaining rings and such but it all depends on the reason you’re disassembling it as to what step is next. Putting it back together is just the opposite. For the bearing races I had a washer with a 1"bore that I placed on top of the race. Then a pipe section I put over the shaft and hammered it down. Be careful that you don't get to tight to the retaining rings. When putting it back into the machine dont forget the oil and the belt.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Dissassembly of the Attex 7000 series transmission started by LarryW View original post
  • 6x6 ATVs on eBay

• 6x6 World Sponsors