6x6 World - How to make your own seat.--Attaching the seat cover

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
  • How to make your own seat.

Once the glue on the foam has dried, place the newly sewn seat cover over the foam and work the foam into the corners until you get a tight and uniform fit. Flip it upside down and gently pull the top of the fabric over the base board. You want to take out all of the slack/wrinkles but you don’t want to pull it so tight that it distorts the material. Now take your staple gun and place your first staple in the center of the fabric.

Note: You can start on the ends or the middle but either way leave room for folding the corners shown in the next step.

Then move towards the end and place two more staples along the way. (You don’t want a bunch of staples yet until you see how the rest of the material is going to conform. Just enough to hold the material in place.) When you get to the end fold the corners over each other and make sure that the seam on the end is straight. Note: You can fold either way but try to think about which edges will be seen when it is mounted. If the material is bulky, you will want to fold it away from the prominent edge (the front).

Once you get a few staples in, start putting more staples in between the previous ones until you have a staple about every inch or more. I usually go a little overboard with the staples and I also try to turn them different ways so that they are not all pulling the material the same way.

Keep working the wrinkles out and gently tightening the material as you go. Just realize that on the back of the seat where you are stapling, the material will have to wrinkle there, that is not a bad thing. Wrinkles on the front = bad ; Wrinkles on the back = Good. The cover will eventually be completely attached to the base and it should look like this:

Note all of the wrinkles, staples, and basically a mess that I have on the back of the seat. Don’t worry how that looks though!

Finally, bolt the seat back to the floorboard and install it in your Amphibious ATV!

If you have a back to your seat then you will need to repeat this procedure for that one too but the steps are exactly the same. Congratulations! You now have a new seat.

Picture #20

This article was originally published in forum thread: How to make your own seat. started by Mike View original post
  • 6x6 ATVs on eBay

• 6x6 World Sponsors

• Latest Poll

Do you want to see a new 6x6world website? (9 Votes)

1. Yes, I'd like to archive the current site and start fresh with modern forum software. (6 Votes)

2. No, I would like to stay on the original website as long as possible. (3 Votes)