6x6 World - Repairing a Grooved Axle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
  • Repairing a Grooved Axle

Do you have a grooved axle and a shallow wallet? Well, here's the ticket for solving the problem without burning up the Visa card.

Repairing a grooved axle on the cheap:

1. Remove the axle.

2. Clamp it firmly in a smooth-jawed vice, with the groove about 6" from the jaws of the vice.

3. Using a wire brush in a 4" grinder, clean all the area in and around the groove, making it free of rust and gunk. Use a flat file gently on any high spots.

4. Use paper towels and wipe down the axle with solvent (I like Toluene), changing towels as they become dirty. Repeat until you have a 100% clean towel.

5. Mix up the normal 50/50 batch of J-B Weld

6. Using a 4" squeegee, fill the grooved area with J-B weld, making sure to keep the squeegee parallel to the axle. Use a light pressure. Don't use anything but a rubber squeegee. You'll be tempted, but DON'T use anything else! Been there...done that.

7. Wait 24 hours.

8. Go over the repaired area with 180 grit emery cloth at least 4" wide, wrapping it around the axle and pulling the ends gently. Stop precisely when the repair is flush with the axle. If you were good with the squeegee, this step shouldn't take much time.

9. Install the axle with a new seal and grease.

10. Go fill up your tank and take a long ride with the money you saved!

I hope this helps someone out. I have repaired two axles using this method, and having inspected them after two years of steady use, they both look like the day I did the repair. The repairs are still flat and true.

Sure, you could weld a repair, but then you're looking at having to chock the axle in a metal lathe and turning it down. Most of us don't have a lathe that large laying around, and the local machinist probably doesn't owe us any favors.

Planter Bob
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Repairing a Grooved Axle on the Cheap started by Planter Bob View original post
  • 6x6 ATVs on eBay

• 6x6 World Sponsors