18hp B&S carb issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 18hp B&S carb issue

I was just thinking along the lines of MAX IV Mark. Are you sure both plugs are firing?

Sorry guys. I got insane busy in other app with customer jobs, so my toys had to take a back seat.
    I'll be on it again in a few days, and hope to have a solution.
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

Question

Finally got back to the Argo repairs. I adjusted the valves, tweaked the governor, and tried adjusting the carb again.
    Still having the same issue!
    Here's what I've been trying to fix all along.
    [/URL]
    It dies as soon as you romp the throttle, and if you baby it up the rpm range it spits fuel at high rpm.
    I'm lost. .........
    Fresh carb rebuild, New plugs, check valves, check spark, fresh fuel.
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

acts like there's a vacuum leak or the compression release balls in the cam are stuck. rare but does happen.

Yeah I was kinda starting to think it was internal.
    Guess it's time to pull it, and mount it to the work bench so I can start digging deeper.
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

Your video caught my interest. It's two degrees here right now but I had to check out my carb as it is the same as yours. At full throttle my fuel comes out lower than in your video. Between the two butterflies. I am not saying yours is wrong, just an observation of my own set up. I hope this helps.

The weather was 72°for when that video was made.
    I'm not nearly as concerned about the fuel blow back after some reading. This is apparently a common issue with 99-04 argos that use this engine. B&S. Says this engine was designed to be an equipment engine. It's for use in pumps, generators, small tractors, ect.....
    The tech support guy said that the throttle up&down in the ago has created this problem. They have seen it before. The engine&carb are made to run at a constant rpm, and the gov. only assist under load. It's not meant to be used in an accelerating drive train.
    The stalling out at every quick throttle is my issue now.
    I may end up doing an engine swap of some sort. It's rediculous that argo makes a machine without any long term testing, or consulting the MFG of the engine.
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

Let us know if you get it figured out. My '98 Bigfoot with the same motor acts the same way. I've tried everything that you have and it still has carb blowback and stalls when cracking the throttle too fast. I've kind of learned how to live with it but it sure would be nice to get it running a little bit better.

hi ,
    it would appear that the problems are common
    1 spitting fuel back up carby
    2 carby flat spotting on acceleration

After checking as I have previously said
    including head gasket issues [these can also happen on very low hr machines as well ]
    RING SEAL TO BORE IN THESE ENGINES IS PATHETIC

An accelerator pump carb from 25 hp kohler ,mukuni 28mm,[briggs factory is 26mm ]
    u will need an adapter plate
    air filter base plate [kohler] [fitted to walker mowers but not exclusive ]
    mounted over the filter base plate u must install a sports 9 inch base plate
    tack weld both plates to each other .WHY the factory kohler bases are weak and distort easily .
    Use either a 9 inch x 3 or 2 sports filter
    I cover this with a dry foam uni filter
    ****This setup does not use the governor and tacho or revlimiter may be required

tomo
    Last edited by Tomo; 01-12-2014 at 06:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread