Old tractor tire chains = tracks?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old tractor tire chains = tracks?

Old tractor tire chains = tracks?

Hi I have an older Max IV and was wondering if an idea I have will work and/or if anyone has tried it. My idea is to find an old set of tractor tire chains that would be the same length as the length to go around the tires on my Max IV. I have tried a search and could not find anything similar to this. Has anyone tried this and does anyone think it will work?

Thanks,
    Mike

mike, i think it would be cool.i saw on u tube under russian snow machines something similar.but also there was rubber conveyor belting between the chains and tires.the belt was somehow attached to all the cross chains.kind of looked like a narrow set of tracks.of course they were not wide , but the combination of chains and rubber worked good. also you can adjust your chain size to fit your tires using quick links. thats also the way to connect the ''chain tracks'' after you have wrapped them around the tires.i thought it was a great and easy way to make some simple tracks. johnboy va.

mike, john again. if i was making a set, after you get the right width of the chains to fit your tires,like on a car tire,then buy the needed total length of conveyor belting 3/16 thick and about as wide as your tires.you could easily attach the belting to each cross chain by drilling 2 holes in the belt at each cross chain, and attaching it to the chain with maybe 3/6'' x correct length bolt .use washers and a lock nut. mcmaster carr co. sells belting ; and 4'' wide is about 2-3 dollars a foot.let us know if you make them and how they turned out. i made my own half tracks. look under tires,tracks,etc on thi site.

John,

Thanks for the info and advice. If I've got my concept right, the tire chains with their smaller circumference outer chains should stay on without "peeling off". Guess I need to attempt it to see if I can prove my concept.

Thanks,
    Mike

mike, look under russian all terrain machines on the internet. lots of machines come up. just keep punching in each one and eventually you will see the one with the chain tracks like i described. you will see it is a boxy green 2 piece on the snow. shows a good close up of the design. johnboy va. may take a while to find it.

+ Reply to Thread