2001 Vangaurd shifting.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2001 Vangaurd shifting.

2001 Vangaurd shifting.

I got my 6x6 and it runs great the thing has a lot more power then I thought it would with a 16hp motor. The one problem I'm having is shifting into gear the gears really grind when I try to go from high to reverse I mean really grind . am I doing something wrong is there a special way to shift because I don't want to do any damage forcing it into gear. I said it wouldn't be to long after I got it that I would have questions less then a day. I'm going to go over it really good before I try to take it out . I'll make sure every thing is tight and greased and oiled and check all fluids I most likely will change all the fluids even if they look okay that's just the way I am. I have this problem that if I don't do it then I don't know if it was done and done right. If someone can get back to me about the shifting grinding that be great.
    Thanks
    RJ1.

What is your idle speed when you shift? The lower the better.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    According to what i have read, Briggs Vanguard with the cast sleeves should idle at 1200 RPM with the engine warmed to operating temp which is too high for the shifting on the Argo. There are adjustments you can make ( check utube tutorials on which spring tabs etc you can adjust) to bring the RPM down. Argo suggests the 800-900 range for shifting. On my 23 hp ,which is basicly the same engine, I ended putting an additional return spring after I backed the idle screw out. I still have to give the throttle a 'blip' to bring the revs down sometimes but for the most part I can shift. Going from gear to gear , forward to rev or high to low, no problem as I apply the brake, but neutral to a motion gear is when I may have to snap the throttle to bring the revs down. This seems to be a common problem which SHOULD have been dealt with at the factory and maybe new engines idle lower till they break in. Don't think so but maybe.

The idle is to high on it. Once I start it it wants to take off I have to keep the brakes on our put it in neutral so it want take off on me. I'll lower the idle speed today and see what that does.

I lowered the idle on it just a little and that seemed to help a lot. Now I'm going to replace the brake pads on it. Changing out the pads seems pretty straight forward. Beside the brake pads the chains and bearings on the hole machine are all new which is great I just have to keep them maintained.what are the best brake pads for the Vangaurd. ? And where is a good place to get them from is this something I need to get from a Argo dealer? .

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Argo dealer or I saw some on Ebay. Stay sitting down when you price them!

There's nothing on these machines that is cheap. I priced the rod and collar an set screw for my tracks and they go for 11 dollars plus another 11 dollars for shipping. I'm going to look for that at my local hardware store . But with the brake pads I want something good because not only do they stop it they also steer .

+ Reply to Thread