Skipper Motor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skipper Motor

Skipper Motor

Hello all,

Looking for some advice here.

I have a late 1960's, early 1970's Skipper. I have the original motor but it is pretty roached and froze up. It is a Sachs 2 cycle. But the transmission and everything else I have is perfect working condition and the running gear is rebuilt.

But I am looking at putting a Predator 13hp motor in it. Does anyone know if I can use the original clutch and just put it on the new motor? I am just missing a motor and the thing will be drivable.

First thing I'd check is the power rating for your clutch, depending on what size and output your 2 cycle is, the clutch may not be able to stand up to the power of the Predator. If the clutch can physically handle the power of the Predator you should be able to adapt the clutch for use on the new engine if you take care of these things. First 2 stroke cranks are typically a 30mm tapered bore, while the Predator will have a straight 1" crank, you can buy adapters or have one machined to make the Predator crank accept the clutch, but it will require cutting your crank. Second, the 2 stroke clutch will also have different springs inside to give it a different engagement point to accommodate the narrower power band the 2 stroke has. Depending on the model of clutch you have, you may or may not be able to find springs that will change the engagement to suit a 4 stroke.

Thanks for the response.

I will have to do some looking on what the clutch is on there now. I didn't even think about the different power bands of the motor.

Does anyone make a clutch that is somewhat designed to fit on the predator? Other that just a chain clutch

Quote Originally Posted by 1966g10 View Post
    Thanks for the response.

Does anyone make a clutch that is somewhat designed to fit on the predator? Other that just a chain clutch
    Happy to help. There are a couple clutches I know of that will work. First is the Comet 94c "Duster". It has 1" straight bore it can handle up to 40hp according to the Comet website, and is fairly performance oriented. Brand new it would be about $250 depending on where you find it, but I got mine used for $115. Next would be a Comet 780, which is a common clutch in 6x6s. It doesn't have any features that really stand out compared to the 94c, in fact it's rated to take less HP, but it's a definite safe bet if you're unsure of what clutch to buy. It'll be round $225 for a new one, again depending on where it's available and if you don't find a used one.

The thing you really need to look out for when considering a new drive clutch without replacing the secondary clutch is belt top-width, the 94c and 780 both use a 1-3/16" top width belt, so you'd need to look up the model of secondary clutch you have and find the required belt width. If you have a Comet/Salsbury 500/700 series, which were pretty common back in the day. It should take a 1-3/16" belt, and would only require a green or red spring from max6x6.com to be adapted to 4 stroke use.

So sorry its been over a week to get back on here. I did some looking around for clutches and what not. I measured my belt on their now and its 1 3/16".

I have been looking ob eBay for a used clutch, if not I will just order a new one.

But You said I need to replace the spring in the original front clutch?

Clutch

This is one clutch I was looking at.

Just wanted to make sure it fit first.

Comet duster clutch | eBay

That is a good clutch but it has a Tapered bore. You will need a straight 1" bore with a key way in it.
    There are others on e/bay just need to look for them. Most will list that there for a 4 stroke engine.

Pm me if you are still looking. I have a comet 780 that i will sell. It has a 1" keyed bore

+ Reply to Thread