Kohler 440 twin cylinder 2 stroke

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kohler 440 twin cylinder 2 stroke

Kohler 440 twin cylinder 2 stroke

what can all you masters of the 2 stroke smoke tell me about the kohler 440 twin cylinder 2 stroker. It is actually 436cc's it was in an argo and it was FAST. about 35-45 mph < this is what is going into the wedge.

It's a good choice for a powerplant, Tanker. There's good and bad points, but I think in this case the good outweighs the bad. They have chrome cylinder liners, so they wear like, well, chrome, but when they finally do wear out the recomended fix is jug replacement. They're a five-port engine and you'll get really good performance for the size and weight. They were really popular in snowmobiles and ATVs, so parts are still pretty easy to come by when you need them.

Take Care
    Don
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

thanks don, do you know what kind of hp these put out?

Im not exactly sure but Id imagine that it is somewhere between 35-40 HP. Don, I was reading on my Wiesco Piston box that it said not to install these pistons and rings in chrome plated cylinders. I never thought that there were many engines that had them, but now I know.........you learn something new every day!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The single carb model was 37 HP and I think the twin carb was rated 44.

Don
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Talking

37 horsepower, that should move the wedge right along with the proper gearing.

about a 20:1 gas/oil mix?

Quote Originally Posted by tanker View Post

about a 20:1 gas/oil mix?
    With today's oils, go for 40 to 45:1. If you want less smoke, go for a semi or fully synthetic oil. I use Golden Spectro (available at many motorcycle/snowmobile retailers) and it's virtually smokeless once the exhaust temp gets up there. It makes you worry at first, because as we've all learned, two strokes are supposed to smoke like crazy, right? Check out the vids of the D/stock and the 503. Not really a blue haze following me around, which I like...

Smokin's bad for you. My girls don't smoke.

~m

attex

i have a kawasaki 440 daul card.i just want to know what lubes the bottom bearings.i see a sight glass,on one side,but the glass looks like plastic and you cant see through it so i dont want to start without knowing about the oil..thanks guys

Two stroke diatribe...

John,

The oil that you mix with the gas is the only lubricant that a two stroke sees. The 440 Kawi might be oil-injected, but you don't have to use the oil injection system if you pre-mix the oil with the gas. I've not seen a "sight glass" on one before. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of what it is, and what purpose it would serve.

In a two stroke, the gas and oil actually enter the crank case as the piston ascends (because there's lower pressure in the case than atmospheric pressure outside the engine), where the oil that's mixed in with the gasoline lubes the main bearings, the connecting rod bearings, the wrist pin bearings and the cylinder walls. It also doubles as a cooling agent. That's why when you run a two stroke "too lean", you're not getting enough oil to the engine, and it can overheat, even if the cooling fan (on fan cooled engines) is running fine. That's why it's really important to have good, tight crank seals. If you don't, the partial vacuum inside the crankcase will suck air past the crank seals on the PTO and magneto. Since there's no gasoline out there (hopefully) the engine sucks just air with no cooling and lubricating agent. It may still run, but the engine isn't getting the right amount of gasoline either, so it'll start hard and run very poorly. Here's an animated GIF of the whole setup in motion on an air-cooled single cylinder with a tuned pipe. Sit and watch it for a while, and you'll understand everything. Also check out the mild "supercharging" effect of the tuned pipe as the intake charge and exhaust charge run up into one another, forcing as much of the fuel into the combustion chamber as possible.

Welcome to the "power band" my friends...

That was supposed to be animated <OK, I guess it is now(?)>. Apparently it's not working right.... A dual carb 440 Kawi has a lot of fun potential. Many were even CDI ignition, and are popular with the ultralight aircraft crowd.

~mike
    Last edited by hydromike; 08-28-2007 at 01:09 PM.

kawasaki

thanks guys alot, it helps that some can awnser,the 440 was oil injected but the guy i got it from said just mix oil and cas together,i think it has the oil pump still on it,im want to tern the 208tt into a racer it should be fast,does the 7000 tranny with reverse slow it down or not realy,thanks again guys

+ Reply to Thread