14hp vanguard jetting

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 14hp vanguard jetting

14hp vanguard jetting

My Max2 runs pretty rich.. infact I've never used the Choke to start it since i got it a few weeks ago and it's been pretty cold lately. Our elevation out here is 160' above sea level.. when I took it to the dunes it ran way rich since it is 4000' elevation up there.. What jets or adjustments can i make to make it run leaner?

That's a pretty big change in elevation. Did it run like crap? We took one of our stock maxes up to Flagstaff. A change of about 6500 - 7000 feet in elevation from Phoenix. It ran like crap. Recreatives does sell jets for hi altitude, but so should anywhere that sells Briggs & Stratton parts.

Bridget

It ran okay ... Just loaded up a bit... I need to set the air mixture screw... It's running rich here at home where it will get used most. What's a good starting point on the mixture screw? I see it has a tab that prevents more than a quarter turn.. Any suggestions?

Remove the limiter tab and you will be able to adjust the mixture screw enough to adjust for the extreme changes in elevation. They say turn it in till it starts to bog, then uot till it starts to missfire (remember to count the turns), the back in 1/2 the number of turn you backed out. I usually run the throttle up against the governor, then adjust in or out till it runs the smoothest/strongest.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

You can pull or pry the limiter cap off the screw. Then I'd turn it in till it seats, counting the turns. I'd guess 1.5 turns out to start with, and then tune from there. The fastest, leanest speed you get will probably cause a hesitation on acceleration.

Unless your carb has been messed with, bigger jets, etc, I'd think your carb has something inside that needs to be fixed that's causing the rich running. Every factory carb I've seen has been on the lean side.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

+ Reply to Thread