Kohler engine stops running

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kohler engine stops running

Hybrid View

Kohler engine stops running

I have a Kohler magnum in my 1991 argo. It seems like every time it warms up (about 20 minutes of driving) it wants to die, I have to give it full choke and it will run for a while but the it quits and I have to wait for a few minutes and then it will go for a few 1000 feet. I put on a new fuel pump because it looked like it was getting air in the line but it is still doing the same thing. It also did it in the cold weather. So it is not over heating. Any ideas out there?

Overheating was my first thought. Fuel filter not allowing enough flow? A kink or sharp bend in the fuel line? Dirt in the bottom of the tank?
    Engine going lean after running for a while seems like a fuel delivery problem. Maybe dirt in carburetor bowl?
    Flywheel fan not full of weeds/grass? If no air, it can still overheat when it's cold.
    Good Luck
    W

overheating will cause the gas to percolate in carb or gas lines.

check that gas cap.. try running it without it

All good Ideas above, also a stuck float (stuck just a tiny bit open) will cause it to lean down, but then will refill while sitting. A crack in the fuel line before the pump will cause it to suck air, but the wait to restart wouldn't make sense then. I'd agree with cap, dirty carb, plugged/kinked line, or stuck float as top suspects.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

What a bunch of great ideas guys!!!
    I had an experience once kinda like what 6x6 was stating but it was junk in the carb just above the needle. It had a 90 degree bend of flow from in the carb to down the needle and clogged there. It would seep gas in the bowl but not enough to run. So after sitting it would fill up. Then run a bit just like you stated then quit. Just another thing to check.

+ Reply to Thread