oh160 tecumeh dies on full throttle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: oh160 tecumeh dies on full throttle

oh160 tecumeh dies on full throttle

Title is a little misleading, if i slowly apply throttle it revs up fine.
    If I just gun the throttle it spudders to death unless I release the throttle.
    How/what would I trouble shoot??
    Starts/runs great other than this issue.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

That can be a sign of several things but most likely it is either getting too much fuel or not enough air. First check your air filter and rule out any air intake problems. The next thing to check is fuel. Have you messed with the carb settings any? Did it ever run fine before? Are the jets correct? etc.

Thank you for replying Mike.
    No air filter on at this time, so air should not be a problem?
    Yes I am playing with needle settings, but they do not seem to make a difference in this aspect, matter a fact starts and runs the best ever besides this issue.
    The carb was new this fall, fuel sat in the bowl duing the winter, ran like garbage til I found rust on one of the needles, after clean up run real good. think I'll take it apart again....
    Also the due to the float, gas would be visable at shut down at carb.Scary a couple time!!! I've adjusted it, but hmmm.
    What about the seal between the carb and engine body???
    The govenor??
    Higher octane gas(using regular).
    Jets??? excuse my lack of knowledge on this but if it is part of the carb it was a all new unit.
    Sure is good to here it run after being in parts sence last fall....
    I hopes to help others I'll update.

I have a copy of the manuel for that engine in a pdf file. PM me with your e-mail and I will send it to you.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

It wouldn't hurt to clean the carb again and make sure that every port is open by squirting carb cleaner in them and watching for it to come out the other end. Then reset your needles and try again. I don't know anything about Tecumseh motors but in general 1.5 - 2 turns out with the needle is a good starting point.

Wow Mike! For not knowing Tecumseh Engines you were right on. The main adjustment starting point is 1-3/4 turns, and the Idle adjustment is 1-1/4 according to the manuel.

Sounds to me like the engine is using the power side of the carb to idle instead of the idle side. If u are turning the idle screw and it's not making a change then it's not pulling gas from the idle side of the carb. The throtle plate needs to be closed at idle so that it pulled fuel from the idle circut and not the power. If u don't use idle to idle then the engine will stutter because the presure change inside the carb won't be high enought to pull the extra gas out needed for excelaraton

Thank you for the replies, pulled plug and it was black and sooty,put a new one on as champions apparantly have a bad rep.
    every diagram I've seen say that I have 2 idle needles, one is as it by the entry to the entry to engine, the other is about mid way, put is not on the bottom of the bowl.
    turning these 2 make a difference on how the engine runs, but is not stopping my issue when I gun the throttle (now why would I need that )
    Getting ready to pull carb for last time hope I find something.
    Open to any and all suggestions.
    Thanks....

On mine, there is an idler screw at the top of the carb the just adjusts the throttle. There is an optional governor idle screw on the block with a limiting screw about an inch and a half below it. There is also the main fuel adjustment screw on the side of the carb. Turn this screw all the way in, and then back it out a turn and a 3/4's. If it is backed out too far you will flood the engine resulting in a stall and possible no start for several minutes or more. There is another adjustment screw on some carbs at the bottom of the carb. Mine has a fixed screw which cannot be adjusted. I assume yours would be the same. If you adjust the screw on the side and it still doesn't work it may be vaporlock??? You might be getting the fuel line hot when your throwing a lot of exhaust. Try running it with no gas cap then I guess.

Good luck

When u pull your carb make a map of what's going on inside of it like where the gas comes from then past what screw and out what hole this will help u beter understand what's going on and what u are really doing when u are twisting the screws. When u go wot dose the engine smoke black or dose it back fire? Another thing could be the gasket between the carb and engine is bad at idle there is high vacume holding the carb to the engine. When u open the throtle plates all vacume is gone leting the carb come away from the engine and air without any fuel goes in. Making it lean and die

+ Reply to Thread