New Argo magnum member! problem with charging system

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Argo magnum member! problem with charging system

Thanks for explaining that G, I'm going to go out and see if I can find the coil and rectifier and try and test them as you said. Once I get some numbers I'll be back to post them.

The tires came with the machine when we got it, they are Kenda dirt dog tires. They give a nice ride, have had a few problems with small leaks but I'm going to try slime.

Sorry, but I guess I am totally missing the coil and rectifier. This picture is exactly my engine, and this is the wiring diagram for my Argo, I can't find a coil anywhere. From my battery the wires go to the starter relay and to other various devices, but I don't see any coil on my machine or in the diagram. Or am I just looking for the wrong thing?

Last edited by danbattista; 03-10-2011 at 11:23 PM.

coil should be under the air breather towards rear of engine.regulator should be there as well under left side of air breather.actually i can see it in picture.

Hi Dan, had the same problem with my 89 Magnum, found the regulator was faulty, replaced and wasn't cheep, picked up at the local kohler dealer, new one has built in voltage protection for boosting, make sure you have model and spec #'s, sticker is on top of motor by fuel pump, also check continuity from reg to fuse block and out, had some issues with fuse block also, had to replace it too.

Are you looking for the ignition coil? or the stator? I believe G was referring to the stator coils. They should be outputing around 23 volts AC, like he says. The rectifier converts it to DC about 14.4 volts. It sounds to me like you have no charging at the battery at all. 11 volts will only be the cells of the battery. Checking the voltage output right at the rectifier will tell you alot. It may be possible that everything is fine and that just a fuse is blown. No charging voltage indicates to me either just that a blown fuse of a problem with the stator. Bad rectifier usually lets the 23 volts ac to the battery and you will get that reading there and on the battery gauge. If that is the case I would not continue to run it, 23 volts will overcharge the battery and more than likely ruin it. Not something I would want to do to an Optima.

Ok, I'm going to check the fuses and the fuse box first. I want to test the voltage at the rectifier and stator coils but I can't see them. Here is a picture of my Argo engine, please just point out where the rectifier and stator coils are because I'm lost on to where they are, once I know that, I can get down to what's wrong and follow what you guys are saying. Thank You!

i have a good used rectifier you can try to eliminate that problem.the stator coil is behind the flywheel.

I just fixed my charging system... It ended up to be the 20A inline fuse from the output of the rectifier to the key switch/battery. From your pic. the rectifier should be under the air cleaner (top/left corner) just left of the "18" and above "Important". It is 3"x1" rectangle with three wires connected to it. The middle wire should be the output wire connected to the key switch/battery. The other two wires should goto the stator(inside the engine). If there is a open(break) in the output connection of rectifier it will not put out a charge(voltage).

So I checked all my fuses and they are good.
    Ok, I believe this is my rectifier . Now the original one that is painted red and attached to the engine has all the wires cut from it. The silver one I'm holding has a ground, wires 3 AND 4 going under the throttle body into the back of the engine. There is a black connection which has a red wire NUMBER 5 going into the engine (you can see it in the picture) and a yellow and black 1 AND 2 wire going to the regulator by the battery.
    So, now I guess I should test the connection that has wire 3 AND 4 for 23 volts AC and the wires 1 AND 2 for 13-14 volts...... right??
    Thanks for helping me figure this out!

It looks like 3 and 4 are the wires from the stator, if they are they should be 23 AC volts. Do they take off under the shroud headed to the flywheel? It looks like 1 or 2 is the output of the regulator. Hard to see in picture which one actually runs through the connector to the rectifier. The other if i had to guess is your ignition wire. I would check the wire coming out of the rectifier and see if there is an inline fuse on it some where. Looking at wiring diagram it looks like yellow wire should be your rectifier output. The diagram also does not show a fuse between the rectifier and solenoid, but does not mean one wasn't added.

+ Reply to Thread